LS400 transmission issue

robali

Recently bought a 1995 LS400 Lexus which has a transmission issue. It engages all gears, but only moves in reverse and 1 or L gear. I have done a complete flush of the transmission fluid and replaced the fluid and filter. Still have the same issue. I was told by a transmission repairer that it might be a foul issue, which I assume means an electrical issue. Everything else works perfectly. Thought it may be seals and solenoids? Any ideas or help would be awesome. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This may be a bit late, but if you have not resolved your issues, maybe you could please explain what you mean by it engages all gears - do you mean the shifter moves through the range of positions - L,1,2,3, R, etc., but the vehicle only moves in those you listed?

The LS 400 transmission (at least the Gen. 1 version) has 4 solenoids, and I forget which ones serve which functions, but when these start to fail, your transmission will begin to show symptoms of failure.  I know one of the longer solenoids are for the overdrive, but you can always look up that information online.  However, the seals are also potential culprits - over time the seals harden and don't allow the Tx fluid to build up the necessary pressure, causing failure.

You probably should first check for the transmission error codes and see if you can narrow down any issues reported by your ODBC.

Hope this helps.