stalled

EvelynandBoo

1999 lexus rx300 - I was driving on the highway my car started to shake then white smoke came out tailpipe and it stalled out.Got it towed home will start after a few tries but will not stay running unless foot is on gas.Any suggestions to what it could be? Please help had to walk home from work today an hour and a half i need to get this car running again.

Don't have too much to go on here.  A roundup of the usual suspects would include coolant suddenly getting into one of the cylinders.  This would cause engine shaking due to ignition loss on that cylinder.  The white "smoke" would actually be water vapor.  The quick way to determine if this is the problem would be to have someone run a pressure test on your cooling system.  These are easy to do and any repair shop could perform it.  The bad news is that if what you have is actually a coolant leak there are typically only a couple of choices: either a blown head gasket or a cracked cylinder head.  Has the engine been severely overheated recently?  If so you may have the source of your problem.  It sounds like you need to find a good independent garage that preferably deals with Toyota since the engine is a made by Toyota.  Also, check your oil level with the dipstick.  If the oil appears milky in appearance it likely has water in it.  Also if it is milky and the level is above the Full mark that could also suggest you've picked up some coolant in the crankcase.  This is just a place to start.  Hopefully it will turn out to be something simple but the prognosis isn't real good.  Let us know what you find out.

• 3 weeks later...

It does not look good for the home team.  Guessing the white smoke was oil blowing on to a hot exhaust pipe. You didn't mention whether or not the red Oil Pressure idiot light came on.  I'm guessing it must have - assuming it is working.  Sounds like your engine didn't stall; it seized.