Speedometer Clicking?

highriskreward

Yesterday I purchased my first Lexus, a 1992 LS400. It is is amazing shape for its age and mileage (169k). It does have one problem that I would like help diagnosing.

The speedometer appears to be clicking. There is no sound when stopped. The clicking frequency increases proportionally as the speed increases.

I found the documents on this site showing how to remove the instrument cluster, but my question is, what am I looking for once it is removed?

Thanks in advance.

The clicking is probably because the speedometer cable is either binding due to being bent or pinched, or needs lubrication. I'd have to guess it is the first as the lubrication should be provided from the transmission.

Does the needle jump around at all? It should stay rock steady.

Does the odometer register correctly?

I have had this happen in other cars before, but one was a ford and one was a buick.

Both times the cable was bad. Sorry I don't know how to get at the back of the speedometer unit, but someone here will.

Good luck with it, sounds like a nice car you bought.

Denny

i have the same problem but well i havent bothered to fix it because its too much work just turn up the music a bit. what i think it is (and it probably is) is the odometer counter gear. its the only thing thats analog looking everything else looks like it moves electronicaly.

Are you sure it is not the odometer making the noise? Does your 92 LS have a mechanical odometer or is it an LCD display? The mechanical odometer on the 90 LS I had for 14 years made quite a bit of noise before it failed at 125,000 miles. I don't remember the odometer being particularly expenisive to replace although I did not do it myself. I continued to drive the car to about 185,000 miles and the speedometer itself never caused a problem.

Yes I am a certified packrat but right now I'm holding in my hand the old odometer for my 90 LS and the box the new one came in. The part number on the "Toyota Genuine Parts" box is 83121-50010. I think it cost around $50 just for the part but that was perhaps six or seven years ago - all my receipts went with the 90 LS when I sold it. It is not a very complex part. Who knows - you might be able to get one at a Toyota dealership. A parts Toyota department employee I do business with seems to get quite a kick whenever he can supply a part for our LS. Or you could try Sewell Lexus at http://www.lexus-parts.com/ and enter a parts request. I have been satisfied with their service and prices.

• 4 months later...

My Lexus started doing something similar to this for the first time this morning on my way to work. May have been doing it before, but since my radio has gotten to where it does not want to turn on until after I have driven for about 5 minutes, I was able to hear it this morning. It was a click, that got faster as I went faster. After about 7 minutes it has stopped. Speedometer was working smoothly as well as the odometer. Just another minor annoyance on my long list of "minor annoyances" on this fine car. ;)