MAJOR Lexus electric/fuel cell announcement

pj8708

Lexus has announced they will not develop anymore hybrids. Instead, they will move directly to electric and fuel cell technology. 

This announcement follows with new Lexus models probably in the LS price bracket. I'm anxious to hear if there is any response from the German folks.

I would imagine there will be a lot of questions from current hybrid owners. Read the article below.

What do you think the future Lexus market will look like?

Paul

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/10/02/lexus-to-skip-plug-in-hybrids-move-directly-to-fuel-cell-and-full-electric-po

Thanks for posting this up Paul, I was very surprised to read the article as over in the UK most manufacturers are climbing over themselves to do the right thing and go Hybrid or full EV.

I think also that the decision is cost-based as opposed to any other factors....hybrids cost loads to produce whereas plug-in Electric Vehicles have got to be a lot cheaper to produce.

In the UK, there is a strong debate about the future of EV being dominant in the market as there aren't enough plug-in points in a city to 'top up' your battery whereas, on a  Parallel Hybrid, it doesn't matter.

Lexus is still however, strongly pushing the Hybrids here in the UK and there doesn't seem to be any let up in this trend.

• 1 month later...

Hi Trevor,

It feels like this market will remain fluid for sometime yet. In the US I think that one of the factors for this market are the need to meet ongoing mandates for pollution emission, fuel economy and safety regulations. I'm pleased that the major makes are taking the lead for these technical challenges.

Here in Des Moines a few of the downtown parking ramps have installed just a few electrical charging stations. I  wonder who will pick up the tab to install many more connections.

Some time ago I read an article that said Hawaii had begun testing hydrogen fuel cell cars and the experience of recharging our changing empty cells at a retrofitted gas station.

Paul

• Like 1

I believe that Hydrogen is the obvious choice to go forwards but unfortunately as long as there is oil being sold worldwide then we have no chance of seeing this occurring, at least in our lifetimes  :-(

Hi Trevor,

It feels like this market will remain fluid for sometime yet. In the US I think that one of the factors for this market are the need to meet ongoing mandates for pollution emission, fuel economy and safety regulations. I'm pleased that the major makes are taking the lead for these technical challenges.

Here in Des Moines a few of the downtown parking ramps have installed just a few electrical charging stations. I  wonder who will pick up the tab to install many more connections.

Some time ago I read an article that said Hawaii had begun testing hydrogen fuel cell cars and the experience of recharging our changing empty cells at a retrofited 

Paul

• Like 1