91 octane in early 2000’s vs 87-93 octane now

I have an 02 Gs300 and the manual calls for at least 91 octane. Now fuel is different then it was 15 years ago so what’s the difference or more so equalivilant. 91 octane then is = to *blank* octane now. I’ve been using 87 and been doing alright. I don’t wanna jump to 93 if I don’t have to. I’m ok with 89. Thank y’all in advance. 

I've never used premium in mine. All cars have computers, and will adjust the timing, as needed, for knock. So unless you are racing your RX, don't worry about it. This is what the Car Talk guys recommend. And many magazine sites. Look it up, if you are curious.
BTW, I bought the car new in 07.

Alright. Thank you! 

When you say race do you mean track or just pushing the car in general? Because I do push my car not daily but often. I have a SRI and a new back end exhaust as well as headers, a tune and a turbo on the way. Obviously if i program if for 93 octane after all that it’ll probably up my performance with all that right? Or could I still keep it at 87?

It sounds like you will want 93. You don't 'need' it, but it will give you a bit more power. How much? I have no idea. I'm looking at it as 'will it damage the engine'. I'm old, with an RX. My days of driving hard are way behind me. (and I'm cheap. I use synthetic oil, as recommended, but I'm not paying 50c more for a gallon of gas!)
Just remember - premium isn't any cleaner than regular gas. It just has higher octane - which prevents knocking, when accelerating fast, or climbing a long grade. But with lower octane, the computer will !Removed! the timing a bit, as needed. It can sense knock.
And I guess I meant 'race' in either manner. Racing, or desiring the extra performance on the street. If you have headers, I'm guessing you will want the added benefit of 93. The added power may be real or imagined - but you will want it for your car. Good luck!