Rear suspension - rough on start -09GX470

GXCajun

Just went through this with my 2003 GX470.  Yes it is very BOUNCY/ROUGH for a few mins.   I'd say you have a leak in one of the pneumatic cushion/air bags, whatever you want to call them.  Mine I could typically hear the Right Rear one leaking when I parked it.   You need to get this taken care of, because the air pump is very expensive, so you don't want to burn it out . . . if your leak is really bad, and it is working a lot when you are driving . . . then you'll have one more thing to replace.

The bags from Lexus seem to be about $300 each, and then labor to install, so seems to be $800-$1,000 to get done at Lexus.

There are lots of folks on the forums that DIY the project.  You can find plenty of instructions.

I was interested in doing it myself, so I ordered the parts suggested from eBay for $158 for the pair www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Air-Spring-Bag-PAIR-for-2003-2009-LEXUS-GX470-TOYOTA-4RUNNER/231771928392 but jacked up one side to do a “preliminary check” and the tops of the bags are “way up there”, and I just didn’t see any way I was going to get to the “clip” to release them. So, I opted to have my non-dealer Lexus mechanic do it. He charged me $181 (plus tax). So, for about $350 I am back in business.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.