98 LS400 Instrument Panel/Gauges

Supradi

I just picked up my Lexus from the service department for a fuel pump replacement. Service informed me the root cause was due to a faulty fuel sensor. The part is said to be the entire instrument cluster (all gauges). I was quoted a cost to repair for roughly $1500 of which the labor was roughly $150 or so. Means the part is one very expensive part.

I was not provided the part number.

Can any provide me the oem part number and/or someone selling at a good price? I am not looking to fork over that much cash 馃挵

All help will be greatly appreciated!

Might be rebuild the instrument gauges can do, you can search Ebay to find the service. It cost around $100.00.

Have you read

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/478704-fuel-gauge-dosent-work-on-94-ls400.html

Might be it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean by "fuel sensor"? I am experiencing issues with my fuel gauge showing high gas reading when I know for a fact my gas tank has far less on my 1998 LS400. I just bought an OEM fuel sender but after reading some posts I'm skeptical this might fix my problem. Dealer wanted $850 to replace fuel sender. I found an OEM part for $138.

This is what the dealer explained to me as the fix. Informed that my fuel gauge is reading more gas than what is actually in the tank, thus I have been driving with far less gas frequently impacting the fuel pump. They replaced the fuel pump and identified the issue at that time. The entire gauge cluster would need to be replaced to fix the issue with the fuel reading.

Mine has the same problem. The gas meter shows more gas than what is really in the tank. I replaced the fuel sender located in the tank but that didn't fix the problem which was very disappointing. My next guess is the instrument cluster.

IMG_3270.JPG

I see. Yes I called the dealer to confirm yesterday and the part they gave was the computer meter plate that is essentially a part of the instrument cluster.

Lexus Part No.: 83277-50190
PLATE,COMPUTER METER CIRCUIT NO.1

Might as well purchase the entire cluster vs. Paying $1300 just for the circuit board.

TRY THIS:聽www.taninautoelectronix.com

but try it at your own risk,, they have had many complaints AND some "thank yous "聽

get your issue settled

read:聽https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/862968-91-ls-400-instrument-cluster-fuse-keeps-blowing.html

14 hours ago, Supradi said:

I see. Yes I called the dealer to confirm yesterday and the part they gave was the computer meter plate that is essentially a part of the instrument cluster.

Lexus Part No.: 83277-50190
PLATE,COMPUTER METER CIRCUIT NO.1

Might as well purchase the entire cluster vs. Paying $1300 just for the circuit board.

Seems like you and I are experiencing the same issue on our 98's. Does your trip computer work to show you how many miles are left until empty? Mine works. It is strictly the fuel gauge that is showing more gas than what is actually present. I'm under the assumption now that it is the instrumentation cluster. Does your temp gauge read above the middle when the engine is warm? The circuit plate you mention retails for over $900! And the labor to have it put in if it is too difficult for self repair :angry:

5 hours ago, billydpowell said:

TRY THIS:聽www.taninautoelectronix.com

but try it at your own risk,, they have had many complaints AND some "thank yous "聽

get your issue settled

read:聽https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/862968-91-ls-400-instrument-cluster-fuse-keeps-blowing.html

Tanin actually has a storefront on Ebay. They have refurbished whole instrument clusters for $699 or repairs ranging from $150 - 699. Ideally I'd like to keep my original cluster so I can keep the original mileage intact while fixing the faulty gauge readings.