Paint peeling from door tops

netpro

Recently the paint has peeled severely from the top edges of my driver's side doors. It peels off of the primer or anti-rust coating and is becoming more and more extensive. At this moment I will probably have to repaint the entire side to match the pearl white factory paint. Clean CarFax report and hasn't been painted here, other than sun there is no apparent environmental factors on this 2008 ex350 Florida car. 

Has this happened to anyone else. I was in the auto body business for 40 years and in my experience this is a factory defect but wonder if I could expect any compensation on a nearly 10 year old car.20170804_100035.thumb.jpg.24c101b92434085d46dbf0ea8612af8b.jpg

Netpro,

I agree. Its poor factory prep of the primer coat before the base coat, pearl coat and clear coats were added.

With three stage paints, getting the flow rate/spread of the pearl is the killer when it comes to matching what ten years has done to the colour, etc.

I doubt that Lexus will help out, but you've nothing to lose by asking. They may just be only too happy to keep a customer. I've had a positive response from Toyota years ago on a faulty sunroof computer years out of warranty. So you never know! Good Luck!

• 5 months later...

THIS LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE WHAT MY CAR HAS STARTED DOING OVER THIS PAST SUMMER.  SAME COLOR, SAME PANORAMIC ROOF, BOUGHT CAR NEW IN 2007- 07 LEXUS ES 350.  ONLY PART THAT HAS EVER BEEN REPAINTED WAS WHEN I GOT HIT FROM BEHIND AND HAD ONLY THE BUMPER CAP REPAINTED.  PAINT STARTED PEELING WHERE AT THE EDGE WHERE THE PANORAMIC ROOF MEETS--I THOUGHT MAYBE DUE TO HEAT--BUT THEN IT DIDN'T STOP THERE--I ALSO HAVE SOME SPOTS ON MY TRUNK AND ON TOP OF MY DOORS. STARTS OUT AS LITTLE CUTS THEN STARTS THIS HORRIBLE PEELING PROCESS.  I THOUGHT MAYBE, SINCE MY CAR HAS BEEN IN SOME HAIL--BUT NEVER SEEN ANY DAMAGE FROM IT (DENTS ETC) THAT MAYBE HAIL DID IT-SO I TURNED IN TO STATE FARM INS--CLAIM ADJUSTOR CAME OUT AND SAID IT WAS A FACTORY DEFECT-CALLED "CROW FEETING" -HAD PAINTER LOOK AT IT AND CONFIRMED COULD TELL WAS MY ORIGINAL PAINT AND THAT IT WAS A DEFECT.  OF COURSE, CAR IS 10 YEARS OLD--BUT OTHER THAN THE PEELING MY PAINT WAS NOT NEGLECTED AND IS SHINY.  I TOOK TO LEXUS DEALER WHERE I PURCHASED BRAND NEW--THEY CONFRIMED IS THE ORIGINAL PAINT.  THEY CONTACTED LEXUS CORP-BUT OF COURSE IT HAS BEEN SEVERAL MONTHS AND THEY STILL HAVE NOT HEARD BACK. 

DEALERSHIP SAID IF THEY TRIED TO JUST REPAINT WHERE PEELING WOULD NOT MATCH UP DUE TO PEARL COLOR (AND MOST LIKELY WONT CURE THE PROBLEM-SAID CAR WOULD NEED TO BE COMPLETELY REPAINTED--WHICH THEY SAID WOULD COST MORE THAN CAR WAS WORTH)...SUGGESTED I TRADE IT IN WITH THEM.  BUT, MY CAR IS PAID FOR.  I AM RECENTLY DIVORCED WITH A SPECAIL NEEDS CHILD THAT HAS A MAJOR SURGERY COMING THIS SUMMER-NO WAY I COULD TAKE ON A CAR NOTE. YES, MY CAR HAS 190,000 MILES-BUT OTHER THAN PAINT IS A RELIABLE VEHICLE. BUT IT HURTS TO KNOW THAT WHEN I FINALLY WILL NEED TO UPGRADE MY CAR--THIS PAINT PEELING ISSUE HAS DEMOLISHED MY CARS VALUE.  SO, IF YOU FIGURE OUT A RESOLUTION (WITHOUT JUST FORKING OVER THOUSANDS TO HAVE CAR REPAINTED)- PLEASE KEEP ME UPDATED.  MY ONLY OTHER HOPE IS THAT MAYBE EVENTUALLY WHEN I CAN AFFORD IT, WOULD BE TO HAVE CAR REPAINTED JUST A BASIC WHITE INSTEAD OF THE PRETTY PEARL THAT I PAID SO MUCH MONEY FOR.   VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED WITH NO FAULT OF  MY OWN.  I HAVE ATTACHED PICTURES SHOWING HOW MY CAR IS DOING THE EXACT SAME THING.   NOT ONLY HAS IT DEMOLISHED THE VALUE OF MY CAR - IT IS EMBARRASSING TO BE DRIVING A "LEXUS" THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS--DEFINITELY DOES NOT HELP LEXUS TO HAVE PEOPLE SEEING A CAR WITH THEIR BADGE LOOKING LIKE THIS WHEN YOU CAN TELL IT WAS NOT DUE TO NEGLECT.

LEXUS PAINT PEELING.JPG

LEXUS PAINT PEELING 2.JPG

LEXUS PAINT PEELING 3.JPG

• 1 year later...

Wow, A, your actual paint is peeling.  Mine is just like Netpro's - the clear coat wasn't done properly and it is all coming off.  My friend calls it my "Friday paint job" because someone got in a hurry and didn't follow a step correctly.  I plan on repainting mine this year completely.  My challenge right now is to find a seat cover replacement kit for the crappy perforated leather they put in.  It is shredding. I am the second owner and I don't think the first owner used leather conditioner.

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, Gabeless said:

Very disappointed in Lexus with their inferior painting on my 07 es350. Peeling drivers side door and now noticed small spot on the roof. Completely in professional for an expensive car 

• 11 months later...

You're not alone, guys. The anti rust coat is peeling off very badly on my 2014 Lexus ES 350. It's been peeling off a little more than a year ago when the car was only 4 or 5 years old. It starts from the top of the hood all the way back to the top of the trunk. There has to be a class action suit for Lexus corp to repair the defective paint they applied on the car. I park my car away from the Florida sun. Even if I didn't, it shouldn't happen. I will post pictures on my e-mail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I’m not sure I’m glad to see this thread. 2008 ES350 here and same thing, thick layer of paint peeling off down to the primer on the roof edge line. Has anyone been offered a repair? Mine is long paid for w less than 80k miles so buying a new one is not something I want to do. Value of it just took a big hit. Not happy here Lexus!! 

• 2 months later...

I have a 2013 LEXUS IS 250 and a 2015 LEXUS LX 570 and I have owned a total of five LEXUS vehicles. My 2013 LEXUS IS 250 has a problem with the clear coat peeling all over the vehicle. It is embarrassing to drive and the car does not hold up to what I believed to be LEXUS standards.  Unlike Toyota, LEXUS refuses to extend their warranty on this paint. Toyota is extending their paint warranty all the way back to 2008 models of the Camry among other models. When will LEXUS do the same? I have been a LOYAL LEXUS customer for the past 23 years. I will NEVER buy another LEXUS if this is not corrected. Please let LEXUS know if you are having the same problem. 

On 3/17/2019 at 6:56 AM, Bakoblues said:

Wow, A, your actual paint is peeling.  Mine is just like Netpro's - the clear coat wasn't done properly and it is all coming off.  My friend calls it my "Friday paint job" because someone got in a hurry and didn't follow a step correctly.  I plan on repainting mine this year completely.  My challenge right now is to find a seat cover replacement kit for the crappy perforated leather they put in.  It is shredding. I am the second owner and I don't think the first owner used leather conditioner.

The clear coat of the paint is peeling. It is my entire car. The leather seats are cheap. Lexus has truly let me down. I will never suggest Lexus to anyone, nor will I buy another one. And I was a loyal customer for 25 years. Toyota is repainting their cars, some that are as old as 2008 models. When will Lexus do the same?

• 9 months later...