1993 LS 400 Trailer hitch Possible ?

toothguy57

I would like feedback as to whether it is possible/advisable to install a trailer hitch on a 1993 LS 400. A quick look at the rear underside tells me the answer is NO. If I am wrong who makes a hitch and who would "you" trust to install it? Also, price range for the hitch and installation. Any information will be gratefully received.

Hello toothguy57,

It is possible. Check out this tutorial from LexLS:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/trailerhitch.html

The parts needed are linked in the tutorial and will cost around $110. I cannot vouch for myself, but it worked very well for him.

Note that you will need to modify some of the car's parts and perform electrical work. A few pieces, such as the lower bumper trim, were modified in the tutorial but could just be left off of the car instead (gives the option to revert to a stock appearance). I would recommend applying tape before cutting surfaces, such as the painted bumper, to prevent peeling or excessive damage.

If you're going to be towing very heavy items (like a boat), you may also want to consider a transmission cooler. I don't know of any details regarding the installation for that, but there may be resources around.

Second on the lexls writeup.

The hitches that are out there for '90-94 cars are pretty light duty, as they bolt to the rear bumper beam only and not directly to the body. I believe hitches for '95-on are generally class II, so one can safely pull bigger stuff. 

If you're wanting to use a hitch-mount bike rack or a light duty trailer, the class I setup will work well (that's what's on my car).  For stuff like a heavy cargo trailer, light car trailer or a car tow dolly, I'd probably pass (although I *have* pulled a light car trailer with small car, and car dolly with a mid-sizer over substantial distances with my '94).  With adequate planning and reasonably careful driving, the stock brakes are just fine for a tow.  The transmission was happier pulling with overdrive off when fully loaded.

Wiring harness can be tapped inside the trunk, left-hand side, no problem.

Thank you much. I felt that the hitch that was mentioned was suspect in that as you pointed out, it was attached only to the rear cross member, and that did not seem very strong. I have abandoned the idea of doing this but I am still grateful for your response.Another totally unrelated issue has occurred on which that you might be able to offer some help. The windshield washer tank has totally failed. If you try to add water it runs out as fast as you add water. Is there a picture tutorial on replacing it on the site? If so , could you give me a link? I may not be able to do much since I am severely limited in my tools at this time but since i am going to gift the car to my son he may be able to do it. Thanks again.

Like I said, for light duty hauling, a class I is just fine, even if you think it looks like it wouldn't hold.  It will.

As for the washer tank, I haven't seen anything on here, but the procedure from the shop manual (you can also download individual pages from Toyota/Lexus' TIS site) is pretty straight forward:

1) remove the LF fender liner (10mm socket or Phillips screwdriver) in addition to removing the LF tire

2) Disconnect the hoses and wiring to the pump

3) Remove the screws that hold the tank/pump assembly in (there's three) then remove the tank and pump.

Installation is the reverse...

Wiper_And_Washer.pdf

Class II hitches for the 90-94 LS400 were once widely available.  The Draw-Tire Class II hitch on the 90 LS400 I drove from new to 2003 attached to the exhaust system bolts on both sides and also to the back of the bumper beam.

A class I hitch shold be easy to install on 90-94 LS400 although the threaded bolt holes in the back of the bumper beam may be corroded after all these years.  In Europe, all years of the LS400 were rated to tow 2000 kg which equals 4409 lbs.

Class II hitches are still available for the 95-00 LS400 but those will likely be withdrawn from the market soon.