LS460 L Acceleration/hesitation problems, FIXED FOR ME

Hi all,

I believe I have posted here before a long time ago with my old LS430 LEX, I now have a 2007 LS460L with 110K on it now. I have owned it for a few years now, since 65K miles, and recently I started having acceleration/hesitation problems. I did alot of research, and didn't find very many good answers. I did have the transmission and engine ECU update flashed, with some improvement, but after that didn't solve the problem, I was convinced it was the cylinder head replacement deal, which was way out of my budget with 5 kids....and I thought it was ridiculous that a flagship sedan would need that kind of serious motor work with just 100K on it. Anyway, my mechanic suggested BG 44K fuel system cleaner, NOT available at places like autozone. He sells it for $28 per can, but I found on Ebay for $16.75 and up with free ship. First and foremost, I ALWAYS used quality, premium gas (Shell V-Power or QT), and Techron additive from time to time, so I was super unconvinced about his recommendation. I had even listed my LS for sale, again, convinced that the motor had cylinder issues after reading blogs about LS460 acceleration issues. Also, for the record, I have NO affiliation with BG or anything like that. THIS STUFF WORKS! It truly fixed my hesitation problems, completely. I am no longer selling the car, and am happy again, as it accelerates like it is supposed to. Feel free to read many other peoples reviews on this stuff, its amazing and really seems to work. After i drove it to wrok (25 miles one way) I thought i felt a difference, by the drive home, I KNEW I felt the difference, after the full tank, i was truly smiling. I have ordered 4 more cans for my other vehicles and boat, and suggested it to my friend with a ISF, my brother with an SC430, and my buddy with a Vette. I guess these LS460 cars are just picky after a while and maybe the injectors get gummed up? I don't pretend to be a mechanic, again this was suggested by my Lexus mechanic, After alot of depressing research with no real answer, just wanted to share my experience with any other LS460 owners, as it is a beautiful car, and I was disappointed in what I was thinking the problems I had. It was the best $17 I have recently spent, and if you are having similar weak/lack of acceleration or hesitation issues, i would say TRY IT for less than $20. I believe you can go to BG's site and find a local dealer, again, not autozone or O'Reilly or anything like that, says professional use only lol. Also, need a funnel, comes in a coke can basically. Just my 2 cents, hoping to help out any other LS460 owners out there depressed about their car, it seems most people just said they'd trade it in and buy a new one, but I'm not that rich :)

ls460l.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Trevor, I really like them as well. Bums me out so many people don't upgrade wheels these days anymore, but I still have to have big wheels on the rides....:) Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to throw my humble opinion out here, too. I have used this BG 44K for several years.  My mechanic who I have known for about 25 years, recommended it for my 1962 Cadillac Fleetwood and my 1984 Eldorado convertible.  I drive these car at least weekly, and the Eldo has over 130,000 miles on it!  This product has kept my cars running beautifully.  My current 2013 Lexus LS460 only has 20,000 miles, so  have not used the product for this yet.  I jus wanted to let readers know the BG products are all wonderful!  And yes, your Lexus is very handsome....and the wheel so impressive.  Thanks for sharing your story and photo!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 7/27/2017 at 12:29 AM, 1BadLexAZ said:

Hi all,

I believe I have posted here before a long time ago with my old LS430 LEX, I now have a 2007 LS460L with 110K on it now. I have owned it for a few years now, since 65K miles, and recently I started having acceleration/hesitation problems. I did alot of research, and didn't find very many good answers. I did have the transmission and engine ECU update flashed, with some improvement, but after that didn't solve the problem, I was convinced it was the cylinder head replacement deal, which was way out of my budget with 5 kids....and I thought it was ridiculous that a flagship sedan would need that kind of serious motor work with just 100K on it. Anyway, my mechanic suggested BG 44K fuel system cleaner, NOT available at places like autozone. He sells it for $28 per can, but I found on Ebay for $16.75 and up with free ship. First and foremost, I ALWAYS used quality, premium gas (Shell V-Power or QT), and Techron additive from time to time, so I was super unconvinced about his recommendation. I had even listed my LS for sale, again, convinced that the motor had cylinder issues after reading blogs about LS460 acceleration issues. Also, for the record, I have NO affiliation with BG or anything like that. THIS STUFF WORKS! It truly fixed my hesitation problems, completely. I am no longer selling the car, and am happy again, as it accelerates like it is supposed to. Feel free to read many other peoples reviews on this stuff, its amazing and really seems to work. After i drove it to wrok (25 miles one way) I thought i felt a difference, by the drive home, I KNEW I felt the difference, after the full tank, i was truly smiling. I have ordered 4 more cans for my other vehicles and boat, and suggested it to my friend with a ISF, my brother with an SC430, and my buddy with a Vette. I guess these LS460 cars are just picky after a while and maybe the injectors get gummed up? I don't pretend to be a mechanic, again this was suggested by my Lexus mechanic, After alot of depressing research with no real answer, just wanted to share my experience with any other LS460 owners, as it is a beautiful car, and I was disappointed in what I was thinking the problems I had. It was the best $17 I have recently spent, and if you are having similar weak/lack of acceleration or hesitation issues, i would say TRY IT for less than $20. I believe you can go to BG's site and find a local dealer, again, not autozone or O'Reilly or anything like that, says professional use only lol. Also, need a funnel, comes in a coke can basically. Just my 2 cents, hoping to help out any other LS460 owners out there depressed about their car, it seems most people just said they'd trade it in and buy a new one, but I'm not that rich 🙂

ls460l.jpg

Hi there.. stu here from the UK.. how's your 460 still doing after you added the injector cleaner? I have the same year of car and mine has started do the same annoying hesitation issue ... Been into my lexus dealer and had them test drive it .. " yep something is a miss here" they told me.. one ECU reset later and I drove home.. that's done the trick or so I thought.. it's now  less than 70 miles later and  the hesitation limp mode feel again is back... big sigh.. so after some research I came across your post and thought I would join the lexus club and reply to you and see how your cars still going nearly a year on?.. I have ordered two of those additive cleaners so hopefully like you I can make my 460 good again.. please give us all an update if you don't mind.. cheers bud..

Been great since, prob comes back every 5 or 10K miles, just use another BG44K and prob fixed again. I think these cars are picky on Gas, and get fouled easily?

Very happy to hear that your lexus is still performing like it should do.. with a bit of luck I'll get my two tins of that injector cleaner tomorrow.. did you use one or two tins per tank full of fuel ? 

Thanks for replying.. 

• Like 1

Hi again.. well your recommendation BG44K injector cleaner has made a huge difference and I've only done 40 plus miles since adding 2 tins to my full tank of Shell V power fuel.. like you said add one tin per 8-10 k miles and that should do the trick.. thanks for posting your findings bud.. like you I was going to sell my lexus now it's a deffinate keeper.. I just hope more 460 owners experiencing the same problems come across this post.. 

Many thanks

Stu.. 

Very glad to hear I was able to help someone else out, and glad it worked well for you. Some people say the difference is "just in your head" but you and I can feel it  in the pedal, so I know it works. Glad I could help again, take care :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I will try BG 44K should I have this type of problem with my LS460. I previously had a very well cared for LS430 and at about 150K is started really bogging/hesitating during acceleration seemingly out of nowhere. I hooked up my OBD2 reader and didn't find any codes. I felt strongly that there wasn't anything seriously wrong with the engine/intake/fuel system and I wasn't confident my mechanic would be able to isolate the problem without some trial and error costing me $$$.  I did a bunch of research and ended up buying MAF sensor cleaner at the auto parts store. After removing and cleaning the MAF sensor, I noticed a positive difference but it didn't resolve the issue completely. I then bought a new OEM (Denso) MAF sensor (about $80 on Amazon) and the car ran like new again. Never had any more problems and eventually sold the car almost three years later.

LS460s have dual air intakes, two MAF sensors, two air filters, etc. so it would make sense to use the BG 44K before replacing MAF sensors. If the fuel system cleaner doesn't work, the mass air flow sensors are another possibility. They should last a very long time but they don't last forever.  They are extremely sensitive and should be cleaned and/or replaced on a high mileage car when having this type of problem before digging too much deeper.

• 1 year later...

Thanks so much for the advice and I will try it ASAP, I have the same model as you with the. Same wheel package but now that I see the chrome ones I’m gonna switch LOL. Thanks for the answer

23847EEB-EAA3-485C-8613-7D6ECDF3A244.jpeg

FBDBF992-0610-459E-A2AB-23F5FBE1FC9B.jpeg

7893E56C-F6D2-496B-8B2B-3031A05DD46C.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2017 at 11:08 AM, 1BadLexAZ said:

Thanks Trevor, I really like them as well. Bums me out so many people don't upgrade wheels these days anymore, but I still have to have big wheels on the rides....:) Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice about the BG I love the wheels too and I am going to opt out for the chrome ones now that I see them on your car I have the exact same wheels in size 19 but the machine color I like the chrome on your car

7651A723-0C55-45EF-9623-F4BAB86E4208.jpeg

F09F6C93-51EE-4657-A2C3-B7789A5E078E.jpeg