2004 RX330 CLIMATE CONTROL ISSUES

I have an early model 2004 RX330 (built in 2003) - No Nav system.  I replaced the radio a few months back.   I am now having air conditioning/heater issues.  I have to keep the A/C setting to LO to get cold air.   The air isn't cold until the car is moving.  When I stop moving the A/C no longer is cold.   The issue on the other end is the heater.  Hot air is not supplied until the temperature setting is 85 of greater.  It used to work great. The store I purchased the radio from said that a resistor jumper was needed if my car had a Nav and appropriate wiring harness.  My radio wiring harness doesn't need a jumper and should work properly. Wrong!

Any help in fixing my climate control appreciated.

Park your car with engine running. Cycle the climate control back from full hot to full cold (make sure the AC button lights up). Can you hear the blend door motor working? If you listen closely there is a motor behind the dash that adjusts the heat/cold coming into the cabin. You can see it working if you peak to the side of center dash. Make sure it isn't being stuck halfway or at all. Next you might want to make sure your car isn't overheating. Is there coolant in the reservoir or inside the radiator? Check to see if you can find any signs of coolant leaking, and monitor the coolant temp gauge while your driving. If the engine gets above normal engine temperature it can cut the ac compressor off (in relation not supply any cold air) and if there isn't any coolant in the system your heater won't get hot enough....

Hi Patrick,

The AC could be low on Freon/ refrigerant. This could cause some of your symptoms.

The heater issue could be a bad servo that opens and closes the little doors that control the amount of cool or hot air coming into the cabin.

Paul

• 5 months later...

I had the heater issue and it turned out I had a coolant valley leak. After I had that fixed, my heater worked perfectly throughout all temperature ranges. Prior to that, it only worked on the HI setting.