Our 2nd Anniversary Update

Hi All,

I've have been "lurking" and keeping up with the new topics, but have not posted for a while. So as it is "Lexy" and my 2nd Anniversary this month, I thought I would post an update of my first 2 years owning a 2000 LS400, I've added 10,000 miles (Now 80,000 miles) but still less than 5000 a year! 

To put it bluntly, I'm "Well Chuffed!" and extremely pleased with life so far! She has performed wonderfully and never let me down once. I have had to replace drivers side front O2 sensor (Through up the relevant code) and did the passenger side at the same time just as a precaution. Not done the post Cat sensors yet as I don't really want to take up all the footwell carpeting :( While I had her jacked up, I noticed a minor leak around the Power Steering Pump, it works fine lock to lock and the fluid level has hardly moved. I guess I will have to read the excellent posts on here about diagnosis and rectifying it before it gets serious and takes out my Alternator! Only other minor quibble is the Rev counter needle sometimes plays dead, then suddenly bursts back into life a few days later. I've read its a common issue and my guess it's temperature/humidity related. It's only happen 3 times in 2 years, but usually after she has not been used for a while. With just a difficult to find blocked drain pipe by the filler cap, these are the only issues I've had. (I've NEVER owned a car that was so reliable and she is now 17 years old!)

I aim to keep her almost stock, I have removed the Center Console Analogue phone and thanks to "Kansas" (of Clublexus.com) who kindly sent me a huge box of pre millennium Nokia Car Kits. I have installed a circa 1999 CARK Car Kit and bought (from China) a new Nokia 6230 Cellphone. It is only used in "Lexy" and for only $5 a month on a T-Mobile PAYG contract she has her own emergency communications!!!

I have the original SatNav/Audio/Climate touchscreen, but have wired in a switchable 3.5mm socket in the center console that allows me to connect IPod/Smartphone etc. and it enhances the CD Player which I still actually use occasionally! I would love to obtain software to allow me to play with the "Touch Screen Menus" but sadly surfing numerous Japanese websites has proven fruitless. I guess I'm just going to have to live with 17 year old Maps!!! (Or use my Smartphone)

Latest Mod (Pics attached) was to replace the orange market lamps on front corners. Found a nice set of clear on eBay and a couple of hours in the sunshine and "sorted". I think they look much better. I've used silver bulbs also but they glow orange. (Just waiting for my Alpine Metallic Silver Touch up paint to sort the scratches on the lower bumper!).

How is she running? well I recently drove from Oregon to Idaho and back (1500+ miles) on "Cruise" at 80mph most of the way. She averaged 27.3mpg, that's almost twice what I get in my Durango and certainly the journey was much more relaxing and luxurious ;)

If anybody reading this is considering buying a late LS400, do it! I just hope you can find a late low mileage model that has been well maintained at the right price?

Lights 1.jpg

Lights 2.jpg

Lights 3.jpg

Nice car driving history! To be honest it's my first lexus now as well. I drove BMW, Toyota and Mercedes earlier but it's my new lexus from DSRLeasing that got me fired up the most.

Thanks John, yes I've never had the funds for Mercs or Beamers so spent most of my life driving used UK Ford, Japanese and the odd "Bargain Banger" :} Now I'm retired here in the States (Followed my Daughter when she started producing Grandkids!) I've mellowed. Always wanted an LS400 but at 50K they were out of my price range :( Then "Lexy" popped up locally for $6500 with only 69K on the clock and full Lexus maintenance history (Including timing belt/water pump etc. replacement at 50K) the rest as they say is "History".

• 9 months later...

@philmstar

hello from 2018

hope your still active 

I have purchased as well my first ever ls400 (yr 2000)

and seeing as you've done a phone install of some sort I wish to do the same with your advice in mind 

I came across this forum and saw this phone on eBay 

dont know exactly what it is or what's possible with my ls400 but am open to al possibilities 

IMG_5129.PNG

Hi, I'm pretty sure that the phone is one of the old "Analogue" devices from the late 90's. It looks very similar to the kit I took out of mine after I purchased it.

99% of the cellphone providers in the USA (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc.) now provide "digital" networks so these old devices WILL NOT work :(

I purchased a Nokia 6210 (New 2001 Model from China) and got an  original CARK Hands Free Installation Kit.  From a very generous member of the Club (Kansas)

These phones were the early digital phones and they STILL work on the current networks, of course you do not get big touch screens and APPs etc. but for $7 a month for a T mobile SIM, I have a "emergency" phone in my Lexus which lets me talk/text and is of an age that is suited to my 2000 Lexus. Sadly I could not  the steering wheel controls (On/Off, Vol etc.) to work with this kit, but the audio is through the on board amp. (Drivers Door Speaker) 

Nokia.jpg.340034c2e21c521e63ca83f128581313.jpg

Hope that helps. Regards Phil