Purchase Advice -- RX400h -- What to Look for

Hi:  New to the forum and hoping to buy an RX400h.  To be honest, I wasn't even considering a Lexus because I figured it was beyond our budget and didn't get the mpg that we need.  But then I came across some things the other night and was quite surprised by what I found.

The units that I've looked at are in the 2006-2008 range and normally at 100k.  From what I've been able to read here, it seems that the battery system is probably of greatest concern.  Is there a way to test the battery before purchasing -- or is this a crapshoot?  Also, what other things would be important to look at?

Per our needs:  I live in a small rural community.  Much of my driving includes trips of 20 miles or less one way, though there are plenty of long rides, as well..  I drive about 35k/year.  I need to get at least 25 mpg on hwy.  Am I wrong to think that the RX400h would be a good fit?

Many thanks,

Jim

My opinion is if U don't need a big suv and require 25 mpg I would buy a nice car instead of a hybrid. There are many very nice cars that ride great and get really good mileage. The upkeep is also somewhat less to boot.

Hi Zieke:  Thanks for your reply.  Have had some great cars that performed well in that regard and certainly agree with what you wrote..  

I'm leaning toward an suv in order to pull a boat.  The small suv's are all limited to a 1500 .lb max for towing.  Typically, those that get good mpg are greatly under-powered.  The RX400h caught my eye because it's similar to the Highlander Hybrid but not as well known.  I'm not worried about the miles, just don't want a money pit.  Lexus tops all charts for reliability.  Just wondered how that played out in the hybrid.

Thanks again.

Jim

I am new owner of 2006 Lexus RX330. When I bought it the tire pressure was set to 40 psi and no problem of whatsoever. It's manual says tire pressure should be 30 psi so I reduced the tire pressure to 32 psi and have my wheel alignment checked and after driving a few miles (less than 100) warning signs of VSC, Air bag came on. Now I want those warning sings re- settled or removed. What trigger that signs and how to reset it? Anybody there with the same problem? Thank you very much

The hybrid is a great vehicle, at around 100k on the 400h the timing belt needs to be changed.  Spark plugs at 125k miles. and I highly  suggest having the cvt transmission fluid change which is a drain and fill.  I bought mine at 89k miles and now have 203k miles.  The car consistently gets 24.7 with my wife's heavy foot.  Highway mileage the same.  Best mileage was 25.7 in California.   Brakes last forever.  I am on my second set replaced at 90k miles and they still have a lot of pad left.  Good luck with your search, I prefer mine (2008) as it was the last year of the 400h. 

Hi Zieke:  Thanks for your reply.  Have had some great cars that performed well in that regard and certainly agree with what you wrote..  

I'm leaning toward an suv in order to pull a boat.  The small suv's are all limited to a 1500 .lb max for towing.  Typically, those that get good mpg are greatly under-powered.  The RX400h caught my eye because it's similar to the Highlander Hybrid but not as well known.  I'm not worried about the miles, just don't want a money pit.  Lexus tops all charts for reliability.  Just wondered how that played out in the hybrid.

Thanks again.

Jim

Personally I would be very cautious about a hybrid for towing....The components for the CVT and Hybrid system are very expensive.  I know some on the boards have towed.  I would certainly make sure to change CVT transmission fluids often if you do tow.  Also make sure the 400h you pick has the tow package.