I have a 2004 RX330 which has a 6 CD changer and a cassette player.  Has anyone had any success installing an adapter such as this one to allow direct mp3 input?   I have a FM radio  transmitter, but the reception from my phone from the headphone jack through the transmitter is spotty and has static.  I don't want to use bluetooth.  I'm having the dash replaced by the dealer so I thought this would be a good time to do this. Thanks for any guidance/suggestions. Bob  http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1082&CategoryID=45

Questions like yours don't come up very often anymore since most people who wanted audio interfaces on older Lexus vehicles did that years ago.

Sure, if that pac product does what you want then buy and install it.

The original "gold standard" in aftermarket audio interfaces for Lexus vehicles was probably VAIS.  Many Lexus dealers sold VAIS interface products before Toyota started including audio interfaces on its vehicles.  VAIS still has interfaces for your RX:  http://www.vaistech.com

I wouldn't shy away from Bluetooth A2DP.  Modern Bluetooth wireless audio sounds just as good as hard wired aux-in.  I stream audio wireless from my phone via Bluetooth very frequently in our vehicles and I can't imagine having to plug in an aux-in cable to do it.

Thanks for your reply and the VAIS link.  I found a youtube video on how to install a GTA car kit in my RX.  If I go this route, I need to find a kit that works with android.  I'm sure Bluetooth works well, but I'm not a big fan of cell phone or Bluetooth radiation.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEx20dQnhIc

I just replaced the cd changer/cassette deck on our 2005 RX330 with the Sony  AVX-AX100 (car play unit).  Purchased the deck through Crutchfield.  Simple installation and gained tons of functionality.  We do not have navigation.  I bought the module to retain the steering wheel controls.  I installed a backup camera as well.  You can easily add a inexpensive headunit and gain hands free calling and bluetooth streaming and usb playback.  The nice thing about purchasing through Crutchfield is they pretty much give you the harness and trim kit to do the install.  I wish I could install the same head unit in our 2006 LX470, but the climate control integration prevents it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RyGuy2484
      I just purchased a 2004 GX470 about a month ago.  It has the Marc Levinson sound system with navigation, cassette radio unit with a multi-disc player in the glove box.  When you push the Audio button the nav screen, all the screen says is "Audio Off" with no audio coming from the radio.  When my lights are on at night, I noticed the radio unit itself is not illuminated which makes me believe I have a power issue possibly to the radio unit. After some research, I did come across the Service manual for the radio ( http://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-toyota_kex-m8527-kex-m8727_servicemanual.pdf ).  
      If I put in a destination in the navigation, you can hear the audible instructions.  If you push the other buttons on the nav screen, you can hear an audible tone at the press of the button.  However, when you push the audio button, it just gives you the message "audio off".  I brought a multimeter home from work the other night to check the power coming through the wiring harnesses and from what I could tell, I am not getting any power.  (***Side note - I know enough to be dangerous but I do not claim to be a technician by any means and most of my information is from some engineering friends and YouTube...).  I referenced the various pin positions in the radio service manual to know which ones to check.  I also checked with the vehicle key turned to ACC mode and then also checked with the engine running.  Both times, it didn't appear that I had any power coming through to the radio unit.  I also checked the fuses and they all seemed to be fine.
      I called one of the local car audio shops here in town that I received a good recommendation from and he basically said good luck and they wouldn't touch it with being OEM and knowing all the issues that the Marc Levinson system has had.
      Has anyone else seen this issue?  Any ideas on where the power would actually be coming from that feeds the radio head unit?  The wire schematic is included on the service manual but it's tough to make heads or tails of it.
      Thanks in advance for any responses.
    • By zcoco300h
      Just bought a sweet used 2013 ES 300h which I love however the stock stereo is underwhelming. Coming from an '09 Camry Hybrid with a JBL package (which was pretty good, great bass).
      This is the nicest car I have owned so far and I would like to avoid putting an actual sub and amp in the truck and dicking around with wiring etc. I would like to get alittle more bass out of the system though and hope that this can be done by upgrading the rear deck woofers.

Any ideas/ past experiences etc...?

Thank you!  
    • By petercobian
      This is my custom sub box. It houses 2 JL 10Wv3s with a JL Slash 5001/1 Amp. 
      Very clear clean sound. Not the boomy crapy sound the kids are used to.

• By 04lexusrx33O
      Hello! My name is Jake and I have an 04 RX330 with 230,000 miles on it. Not certain on the history of it but I have gotten it with no heat and an overheating problem(EDIT: previous owners said it has overheated on them). I immediately knocked out the easy stuff, checked coolant levels, verified fans were working. So I end up doing serious work that it needed: waterpump, timing belt, power steering pump, upper/lower intake gaskets, thermostat(THM 117-$11.32 at napa), valve cover gaskets, spark plugs. I end up finding smoke swirling out of a crack in the radiator while the car was idling for an hour during a fuel injector decarbonizing process. I end up replacing the radiator as well as the fan motors with the relay because the fans wouldn't turn on. I ended up using a power probe straight to the old fan motors and only fan #2 worked. I end up putting it all together-bled all of the air out of the cooling system with an airlift evacuation tool-and this thing is still overheating! Today I pulled it in and put the scantool on it-temp reads 244 degrees, so it's up there. I take a laser thermometer gun and the passenger-side (or upper hose) of the radiator read 183 degrees give or take and the part of the intake that the sensor screws into was around the same. So I thought it's only a $20 sensor, and replaced it-also considering it had a previous P0117 code(engine coolant temperature circuit low input). I know when the DTC is aiming at the input part of a circuit, it's talking about something with the sensor. I thought this would do it, BUT the car still overheats via gauge. Good news was I had heat, so I'd blast it when it starts climbing up and it'd slowly go down. I'm really stumped now, because I know the heater core acts as a mini radiator, but it doesn't make sense that the heatercore cools the engine down but not the fans and radiator being fully functional. The upper heater hose is piping hot with pressure but the lower hose is room temperature with pressure, I verified by squeezing the hoses. Is the thermostat defective? I installed it with the wobbler pin positioned at the top via installation instructions. I feel like I might run a compression test tomorrow to check the head gaskets, but I feel like I'm missing another sensor or something-I'm a freshman in college so anyone with experience I'd greatly appreciate it!