2002 ES 300 with 105k miles

Greetings,

My car is showing CEL, with code P0128. Couple weeks back It had CEL for a day and before I could see the code, my starter went out. I towed to shop they fixed the starter, and CEL went away. After few days CEL came back with code P0128

I searched the forum and all I can see is thermostat and coolant sensor related issue. However car is not exhibiting any of the mentioned symptoms. Not over heating (i think), not loosing coolant (at least in reservoir), temperature gauge slowly (within 3/4 miles) moves to and stays at middle. Heater is working fine, AC works great. In general car is running as it was and great for 105k miles. Fuel mileage is about the same 20 to 21 mix driving.

Currently I reseted the CEL, but should I keep driving and see if it comes again? or stop using and try to replace coolant or thermostat or coolant sensor ( or all)???

Appreciated your help!

Sha

marathiboy,

All things point to a thermostat that has problems, that or a bad/corroded connection at the temperature sensor.

I'd try cleaning that connection first, and if that doesn't solve the issue, replace the thermostat and gasket with a Lexus original (not aftermarket). Most people have had less than satisfactory aftermarket thermostat experience. But it would be unwise to wait too long for the replacement, if its necessary. Good Luck!