Timing belt change new seals....turning over with no spark

Exlr82fast

Hi im new here but ive had my is since it was 6 months old...have alway done my own work to it and services...its a 2001 with 118k miles figured id change the timing belt and water pump...so i started back in November when it was still noce out here and didnt finish till now since working 7 days a week and the bitter cold ive red a million post on how to do this and i think i have it right...to add to the mix i have a unorthodox light weight/ underdriven pulley set that i put on the car years ago...with that said there is one notch on the pulley which represents TDC (0° on plastic cover) and i have the dots on cams lined up with the metel cover behind it...i checked and checked it a million times and with everything back together just turns over no gas smell at the exhaust no nothing...so i red about making sure teeth on crank gear are true and not broken to the crank sensor that looks fine so with the car in pieces as of now the accessorie belt is off radiator is out i have the air box on and map pluged in and im getting no spark to spark plugs i pulled on out and checked so what can be the problem what should i look to check next? This is turning in to a headache

20170319_132743.jpg

20170319_132748.jpg

20170319_132759.jpg

When you did the timing belt, did you remember to take the 10mm bolt with the metal "L" shape guard off below the crankshaft? It's real easy to miss. If you forget and try pulling the crankshaft gear off, you will break a tooth or bend it. If the tooth is slightly bent by a millimeter, it can throw the timing off and you can experience a no spark. The next thing you can check, is make sure all spark plug ignition coil connectors are seating properly. I know the plastic coil connectors usually get brittle and break into pieces.

Yes i took that off on the removal..i actually just seen i didnt put it back...i did read put a code reader on it and it threw CPS and TPS...i dont think TPS would keep the car from starting just wouldnt have a response to gas pedel...anyway i read how to check TPS should have 5.6v going to it and ohming it on the sensor end should ohm to 1000 couple...so when checking the sensor end it was open circuit and didnt read any voltage but not sure just having the key in the ON position makes voltage to it...im positive the gear is in good shape and the timing is on i have a TPS coming in mail just 100% sure im reading it right

The throttle position sensor would not stop spark as far as I know, the crankshaft position sensor would stop any kind of spark to the plugs.Check the plug to the CPS and make sure it is mounted correctly.

Well i ohm oit the sensor its open so figure thats bad and i have no voltage at the connector either....??? What would be the next reasonable thing to check? Like i said fuses are good

Was the vehicle running normal before you did the timing belt? Before jumping into any other conclusions, trace back your work and try to remember what you could've done that caused it to not run. It probably something simple and your just over looking it.

You should double check and physically inspect that crankshaft gear. I mean take the timing covers back off and look. It personally happened to me twice. I broke a tooth once and it threw a misfire but no check engine light codes came on. There was another incident where I accidentally dropped the crankshaft gear and it cause a no start issue. I'm telling you, that crankshaft gear has to be dead on point to specifications.

• 2 weeks later...

Well ended up figuing it out...replaced crank shaft position sensor fired right up...then the throttle position sensor was showing up on scan so i put a junk yard throttle body on runs good as new....crazy those things went out like that but who knows