new lower control arms/bushings for my 99LS

billydpowell

well I ran into a snag on my new bushings (it is just a time snag) I dont have all the equipment I need to pull the arms off, remove the old bushings and press in the new and put it back together..
my old body cant do the work anymore (without a lot of pain), SO I just bought a pair of new arms for 150.$ (probably made in china or some cheap country that makes them for china).. I will put them on,
and see how they do while I do the R&R on my 28$ bushings and then decide if I continue or change them out.. I will keep you posted... the original arm/bushing lasted 210k, and I (at 83 in june) will never
approach that...

s-l1600.jpg

OK, had the arms installed last friday and got it aligned today, and it handles/rides like new with NO sounds, popping, cluncks ... just silence..love it..

on thursday I will have the new bushings pressed into my original arms, and if these china arms give me any trouble I will put the OEM's back on..

210K miles is pretty good reliability, damned if Toyota did not spend some serious R&D time making sure these cars lasted...

BTW for OEM replacement parts on LS400's Lexus of South Atlanta has a massive inventory of parts available, but they are at premium OEM prices, its where I obtained my Integration Relay from.

Lexus of South Atlanta (OEM Parts)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Billy.  I'm approaching your mileage.  I replaced several components, and I would like to do the front lower control arms as well as a couple items in the back suspension.  I'll be curious to know how your control arms hold up.  In another thread, I mentioned I installed Moog upper control arms, sway bar end links, and sway bar bushings.  I'm hoping for reasonable longevity out of them, doesn't have to be OEM longevity for me to be happy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Micah.Berry said:

Thanks, Billy.  I'm approaching your mileage.  I replaced several components, and I would like to do the front lower control arms as well as a couple items in the back suspension.  I'll be curious to know how your control arms hold up.  In another thread, I mentioned I installed Moog upper control arms, sway bar end links, and sway bar bushings.  I'm hoping for reasonable longevity out of them, doesn't have to be OEM longevity for me to be happy.

Micah, I had already replaced my lower ball joints a few months ago, my next project will be  sway bar end links, and sway bar bushings. just to complete it..

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have a 2001 gs300. Replaced lower control arms 80k miles. replaced at dealership. replaced again at 140k mile. Also at dealership. Now they need to be replaced again. Im not sure even Lexus parts are any better quality. Any thoughts?

57 minutes ago, veldstrom said:

I have a 2001 gs300. Replaced lower control arms 80k miles. replaced at dealership. replaced again at 140k mile. Also at dealership. Now they need to be replaced again. Im not sure even Lexus parts are any better quality. Any thoughts?

Why are the lower control arms being replaced?  Bushing wear?  Fronts or rears?  Are you the original owner or did you buy it used?  Was it in a wreck?

If you haven't done so already, you might get a more informed response by posting at the GS forum: https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/forum/88-93-05-lexus-gs300-gs400-gs430/

bushings wearing out. Everything rubber disintegrates a little quicker in Southern California but this is unusual. Have owned car since i year old and 15k miles. No accidents prior or after purchase. waiting for lexus to respond to email i sent them but haven't heard back. Lower fronts. Now need a rear also but it lasted 198500 miles.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 1:27 AM, veldstrom said:

Ouch that was often.  My lower controll arms are original after ca 120k miles on my two LS400  1995 and a 1998 . Cooler climate. Sweden. That helps I guess.