07 Control Arm bushings

Hello Guys! I am new to the forum. I have a 2007 LS460 base without the air suspension. I recently noticed the ride quality has been horrible and I can feel and here everything. I took the car in and low and behold the Lexus dealer said there is "significant play" on the control arm bushings and the cost to replace the arms are a whopping $5k!! I was wondering if I replaced the bushings with a press or paid a  shop, would that most likely fix the issue? I was told that the arms on these do not go bad, only the bushing which is what need to be replaced. 

• Like 1

First, I don't have any direct knowledge of this problem fix but I just looked up the autopartswearhouse.com price for 8 replacement control arms with various names, for Lexus LS460 and the total came to about $757 If a qualified shop could do the work for say $130 hr and 16 hr just guessing  that would be $1920. for a total of $2677. or about half of $5,000. estimate.  Also you can search this forum for that problem from prior postings.

First, I don't have any direct knowledge of this problem fix but I just looked up the autopartswearhouse.com price for 8 replacement control arms with various names, for Lexus LS460 and the total came to about $757 If a qualified shop could do the work for say $130 hr and 16 hr just guessing  that would be $1920. for a total of $2677. or about half of $5,000. estimate.

• 7 months later...

sorry to hear you're getting raked by your mechanic. 

it's not a very complicated job to replace the control arms so pretty much anyone with a set of tools and access to a lift can do it. just buy the parts yourself (make sure to double-check everything) and find someone local who is willing to give you a reasonable labor quote. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Guys! I am new to the forum. I also have a 2007 LS460 base. I have been recommended by Lexus to replace all front control arms and the cost is also about $5k.  Can we just use after-market control arms, which is a lot cheaper?  If so, which manufacturer is better since we found several brands are available... Your help will be much appreciated....Thanks.

• 2 years later...