Dashboard recall replacement wait time

I have a 2005 RX330, I got a recall on cracked dashboard and took the car to a local dealer to confirm. That was September 2015. I was told to wait 2-3 months to get the part in then they will call me. I called the dealer 3 month later, they told me to wait due to back order. I called them a few months later, a year later, and now about 17 months, they still tell me to wait. I wonder other Lexus owners have same experience and how long they wait to get the cracked dashboard replacement.

There are more cracks and getting more ugly. I think waiting this long is not reasonable. What choice I have besides waiting indefinitely?

• Like 1

I fear you are not alone, one other member here said it took about an year.  You could call corporate Lexus and see if they could speed up the process.

Yes, we had to wait 1 year. However, replacing ANYTHING in a 10+ year-old vehicle, free of charge is very, very rare these days. Our RX will be 12 years old, this coming April.

I called Lexus HQ today and expressed my concerns about the warranty period expiring the end of May and they told me as long as my car is on file waiting for a replacement dash, the expiration period doesn't apply. I then told them I want to file for a case number and have this issue taken more seriously. They did that and are assigning a case manager to track this issue. It seems you have to rattle their cage to ensure you're not shuffled to the bottom. We'll see how this works out. It's already been a year.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just called my dealer again for another recall issue. Lexus is recalling many models for Takata airbags. I happen to have another Lexus being affected. I talked to the recall manager, I am still on the waiting list for the dashboard cover for my RX330. Now I am on waiting list for the airbag recall on my IS250. I think I will take your suggestion to call the HQ to open a case number to get some attention. Thanks

My Lexus dealer told me, after some pressure from me, this morning that I am number 100th on the list. They receive material for about 20 cars a months, so I was told it might take another 6 months.  If that is the case, it took 2 years to wait to fix this recall. I think that is a record. At least from my experience.

I was told the Takata airbag for my IS will be a few months wait, well, that is how the story for my dashboard cover started.

I got a call from Lexus HQ and they stated that the dashboards are being mfr'd in Japan and when they arrive in the US  they are parceled out to the dealers as needed. The dealers are independent retailers of the Lexus cars and as such Lexus has little control over what the dealers do with the dashes when they arrive. Lexus HQ does, however have our cars noted on their internal data base as being qualified to receive the dashes under the warranty program. On another note, the program expires the end of May for those who are not already on record with the dealers as having registered to have their respective cars repaired. So, I'll simply wait for the call from the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I received a call a few days ago, April 25, 2017, and was told my dash replacement had arrived.  I was shocked, because I was told way back when, that it would be about December for my turn.  So all of you may want to call again.  I think the replacement parts are arriving en mass now.

I called my dealer also, last time over a month ago I was numbered 100th, this time is numbered 150th. They cannot explain well to me. May be I did not buy my car there so they bumped me

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, I finally got the cracked dashboard cover replaced last week, that is August 2017. I waited 23 months since I took the car to the dealer to confirm I qualified.

• 2 months later...

I got tired of waiting 2years for nothing. Always nothing. I feel so miserable everyday seeing that cracked dashboard going to work. i finally decided to buy the replacement cover (a lot better quality) in ebay for $250. Perfect fit. Glue it then done. comes in different color. Happy..

• 1 month later...

I have a 2006 RX400h that I received a Warranty Enhancement Notification (WEN) stating that they would replace my cracked dash and that I would be notified when a replacement part was available but was never notified about a replacement part being available.  I called the local dealer a few times in 2016 but was always told to wait for a notification letter. 

I made the mistake of glancing at a notification that I received later and assuming that it was the notification that the replacement part was available and that I had until Dec 31, 2017 to have it replaced.  It turns out that was another WEN about a brake actuator and because I was never notified about a part being available, like the WEN stated I would be, I discovered that the WEN for the dash had expired.  When I contacted Lexus, they told me that I needed to take my car into a dealer to have inspected in order to get on a waiting list for the replacement part.  

I had the car in the Lexus body shop and asked at the time if they could replace the dash while it was in the shop but they said that it would probably be a year before a dash was available and to wait for the letter from Lexus informing me that the part was available.  They did not tell me that I needed to have the service department inspect the car nor did the WEN mention that but Joy at Lexus Of America said that I needed to have had my car inspected in order to get notified.  THAT IS NOT WHAT THE WEN STATED!  I strongly feel that this is an attempt by Lexus to avoid replacing as many of these defective dashboards as possible.  I've read about others who waited over a year for a replacement to become available and those people mentioned having the service dept. inspect their car in order to get on a list and then there are others who gave up because the parts were never available.  I wonder how many people have been cheated out of this WEN because Lexus never notified people about the parts becoming available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did have my car inspected (which took all of 5 minutes) before we were "qualified" to be on the list of those waiting for a replacement. We did wait a bit over a year and were notified when the dash was in. I believe the replacement took many hours to do but I am very happy with the results.

Keep in mind that very few car companies would replace a dash after 10+ years of use. I see many Honda Civics on the road with sun-damaged paint after only 5 years. As far as I know the dealerships are not repainting the damage areas. 
However, if they tell you that you are eligible, they should follow through.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2009 RX 350 with a cracking dash. It's been cracking for about 1 1/2 years now.  I have had it in a garage during the day for nearly 4 yrs. I bought it in 2012 from Carmax, no warranty!  I am so disgusted & sad. I love the vehicle, never had a bit of trouble until this happened!!  Who the heck wants to buy a lexus with a cracked dash?? The dash covers are $350. or so on line & I sure can't put it on, I'm a 73 yr old lady in the South!!?? I had no idea there was a recall on the dashboards, what gives??

Edited by Chriss Thompson

The original factory warranty was 4 years or 50,000 miles but we had our dash replaced after at least 10 years after our purchase date. (4/2005) I am not sure if non-original owners are notified of free replacements such as the dash. 

A dash cover should be very easy to install. I have an aunt who is 96 and I have no doubt that she can do this. However, in the event that you cannot, couldn't you ask a neighbor to help you out?

• 5 weeks later...

Obviously, Social Media has affected our lives in many ways, good and bad, but it is one of the most effective for organizing a cause.  So, I started a facebook group for Toyota/Lexus Cracked Dashes.  Please join if you're still affected.  Let's unite and let our voices be heard by Toyota/Lexus.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/toyotalexuscrackeddash/

• 10 months later...

My dash on my RX330 2005 is cracked. How do I get the dash replaced    Only in my interior of my Lexus that is broke  not real goo advertisement   Appreciate your help  2n owner—-bought mid 2007