Bleeding Brake Fluid

KevinK

I haven't done this on our RX yet, but I just did it on my Ford truck. It is super easy to do & I got my brake bleeder from Oreilly Auto Parts. I think it was about $20.00 & it comes with a lot of adapters that should fit almost any vehicle. If you need more info let me know.

• 8 months later...

I am thinking about this too since my RX has 72K miles on it so debating if I should do it or just throwing money away. My brake fluid looks cleaned and I am not detecting any problem braking.

Can anyone give a good reason why we shouldn't or should change this fluid? I've noticed that some independent shops offer this type of service.

I learned that we should change the, coolant, transmission and engine oil periodically to make the car last longer? So with this in mind, shouldn't changing the brake fluid make the brake system components last longer? Just curious.

I would love to say that money on something else.

I am thinking about this too since my RX has 72K miles on it so debating if I should do it or just throwing money away. My brake fluid looks cleaned and I am not detecting any problem braking.

Can anyone give a  good reason why we shouldn't or should change this fluid? I've noticed that some independent shops offer this type of service.

I learned that we should change the, coolant, transmission and engine oil periodically to make the car last longer? So with this in mind, shouldn't changing the brake fluid make the brake system components last longer?  Just curious.

I would love to say that money on something else.

Brake fliud (DOT3 and 4) absorbs water over time, which lower wet boiling temperature. They do not last forever. See the chart in this link

Brake Fluid

I am going to flush my 2000 RX300's braking system in two weeks for $65. You can pick the brake fluid of your choice. I believe it is $ well spent since a failed brake is worse than a failed engine. Personally I like ATE Super Blue or TYP 200 Gold, preferred by many BMW performance tuners - high boiling points and alternating color for bleeding. :D

Brake Fluid Price/Performance

Periodically changing the brake fluid assures that all the expensive hydraulic components of the brakes system (ABS, brake calipers, master cylinder, etc) will last for many decades and many hundreds of thousands of miles (452,000 miles and counting in the case of one of my Toyotas).

In other words, periodically changing the brake fluid and other fluids and lubes prevents owners from getting stuck in a rut where theyare faced with a choice between paying for expensive repairs (that can cost more than the car is worth)

or selling the vehicle.

Toyota dealers sell Genuine Toyota DOT 3 Brake Fluid in one pint bottles which is the same fluid that was originally installed at the factory. It is an extra high quality fluid that does a superior job of preventing componet corrosion and wear and owners should use it instead of an auto parts store fluid, if they want to minimize any chance of harming the potential life of brake system components.

Owners who trade their cars every 1-10 years or 125,000 miles and don't plan to ever pass it down to another family member can skip changing the brake fluid without any serious consequences.

Owners who want to find a way to change the brake fluid easily and thoroughly might consider getting a Motive Power Bleeder on ebay for about $60.00. This bleeder works like a pump up garden sprayer and pushes old fluid through the

system and doesn't require the brake pedal to be repeatedly depressed like most other bleeder devices. Also useful for changing the clutch fluid on manual transmission cars.

I flush my brakes annually. The easiest (one person) way is to start by opening the bleeder furthest from the master cylinder; add fluid until what is coming out is clear and has no bubbles; repeat for the other 3 wheels. This takes longer than with the "special" kits, but works just as well.You can put a piece of plastic hose over the bleeder and let it drain into a bottle. Just don't touch the brake pedal while any bleeder is open. If water accumulates in your system, it can rust the master and slave cylinders. Do not use DOT 5; it doesn't absorb water.

Thanks for all you guys feedback. :) The reasons are compelling. I think I'll get it done since I plan to keep my RX for years to come. But since this sounds a little complicated, I might just take it to a shop. I hate to lose my brakes when driving. I'll check on SKPerformance's detailed how to instructions and see if I am brave enough to accept this challenge.