Thinking of Switching to LED Lights. Issues?

moonunit

I have been thinking of switching the brake lights and turn signals on my 1997 LS400, but don't want the flasher to quick flash, or have the lights out idiot light lit up on the dash.  What LED bulbs work well in place of the stock incandescent bulbs?  Do any of you have a before and after photos or videos at night that you can show me?

I am starting to see LED headlight bulbs, but most are not DOT approved.  Have any of you had any luck with them?  If so, what brand worked best?

I WAS considering the upgrade and both Philips and Sylvania make resistors that you attach to the LED bulb that will stop that rapid flashing but it gets really expensive, so I opted to replace most of the exterior bulbs with Philips Crystal Vision Ultra bulbs outside of the Fog lights, parking lights, reverse lights, and tag lights, those are all White LED and DOT approved. MY headlights are Philips Crystal Vision Ultra (series 4002), they look similar to HID but are not as bright, but they are better than stock Halogen bulbs, and I replaced the fog light bulbs with Hella Optilux Extreme White XB bulbs (series H3C).

Other issues I have heard about people using LED's for brake lights, turn signals, and a few others with an LS400 is a "light out" error on the dash, the only 2 fixes are to either use that resistor I mentioned earlier, or not use the LED bulbs.

On 2017/2/23 at 3:23 PM, Spartan0536 said:

the only 2 fixes are to either use that resistor I mentioned earlier, or not use the LED bulbs.

In case of LED brake lights, there is a way to modify the sensor circuit. You don't need to use any resistor.

I have written it at the Clublexus Forum.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/747365-how-to-modify-the-tail-lights-failure-sensor-for-ucf20-21-a.html