got brand new battery but it keeps dying does the alternator need to be replaced please help

PupilzSwag

Hi Maverick

It's either battery quality, always stick to a reputable brand from a source you can trust....there have been several cases of counterfeit batteries around (can always tell by the weight - quantity of lead) or it is the alternator....not difficult to check with a multimeter. Should be producing around 14.4 - 14.8 volts with lights switched on. Any lower than 13.8 volts it's probably on it's way out.

Also, very importantly, check the battery terminals are clean and tight !

Cheers  Trevor

Have you figured this out yet? If not, is there a check engine light on? Like billy said go to an autozone and they should be able check the condition of your battery and alternator for free.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

It happened to me before. First, the battery indicator lid up. Measured voltage between battery posts were 12.4 when car is off, and 11.8 when it runs. Raise the car up and measure the voltage at terminal B of the alternator when the car off, still 12.4 proving that there is continuity from the alternator to the battery and the 120 Amp fuse is still good, to be sure I check the continuity between the alternator terminal B and battery positive post anyway. It proves that the alternator was toasted. It takes 2 hours for me to replace the alternator and back on the road.