Which Is The Best Year RX Model?

I currently own a 2000 RX300 and it has been a GREAT vehicle.

I am looking to purchase another RX and would like to know which year models are the best ones to consider? Which models are the ones I should avoid?

Thank You! 

• Like 1

When it comes to RX I like 04-09 330/350 non hybrid  all wheel drive ! Hybrids have issues!

Had the opportunity to buy 2011newer style wife loves the arm rest but design changed! Too stodgy and big for her! 04-09 very reliable ! 200k miles on  04 and 100k on 09 no repairs just maintenance! Good luck

Good question Deb. Lots of considerations here. (1) Is size a factor as the newer models keep getting larger as the years go on? (2) Do U want a RX that doesn't need too much maintenance (newer and more money) or an older one which will need more? Keep in mind that if U have to have a dealer do it the costs are substantial. Also, older ones with low miles on them seem to be hard to find as they are usually driven alot. (3) The care of a used RX before U get it is important. Personally I wouldn't buy any RX without knowing past history,  because most vehicles, if not cared for properly will not be a "good" one for U to buy. (4) If U can get a decent deal from a dealer on a used one they will certify the later models saving U the hassle of having a private mechanic go over a vehicle. The cost of peace of mind from a dealer is usually "built in", but I feel worth it. (5) Any RX 300 or 330 will need the timing belt changed by 100k miles which ends up at least $500 and up.

Hope this helps. Any questions plz ask.

21 hours ago, bayray said:

When it comes to RX I like 04-09 330/350 non hybrid  all wheel drive ! Hybrids have issues!

Had the opportunity to buy 2011newer style wife loves the arm rest but design changed! Too stodgy and big for her! 04-09 very reliable ! 200k miles on  04 and 100k on 09 no repairs just maintenance! Good luck

Thank you for that information. I was wondering how the hybrids are. I appreciate the feedback!

22 minutes ago, zieke said:

Good question Deb. Lots of considerations here. (1) Is size a factor as the newer models keep getting larger as the years go on? (2) Do U want a RX that doesn't need too much maintenance (newer and more money) or an older one which will need more? Keep in mind that if U have to have a dealer do it the costs are substantial. Also, older ones with low miles on them seem to be hard to find as they are usually driven alot. (3) The care of a used RX before U get it is important. Personally I wouldn't buy any RX without knowing past history,  because most vehicles, if not cared for properly will not be a "good" one for U to buy. (4) If U can get a decent deal from a dealer on a used one they will certify the later models saving U the hassle of having a private mechanic go over a vehicle. The cost of peace of mind from a dealer is usually "built in", but I feel worth it. (5) Any RX 300 or 330 will need the timing belt changed by 100k miles which ends up at least $500 and up.

22 minutes ago, zieke said:

Just now, Deb W said:

Sorry for the multiple blank responses, I am trying to respond to zeike:  

35 minutes ago, zieke said:

Thank you for the information! I agree about the timing belt, that is the first thing I did when my RX300 hit 99k miles. I do not service at a dealership, I use an independent mechanic who knows the Lexus models well. The car history is very important and I agree, I would never buy a car without knowing the history. 

I plan to purchase with cash, I am NOT interested in any financing, I hate having a car note!!!!

From the year 2010 and on, which models are the best ones mechanically? My friend bought a 2010 and told me she wished she had kept her 99 RX300, that it was a much better car.  I do plan to keep a car as long as I can without high maintenance. I guess I would like to know: do they make them as good now as they used to?? :)

My 200 RX300 has only required regular oil changes, fluid changes, a timing belt, brakes over time, and new tires over the years. It has 260k miles on it. I have pondered keeping it but my mechanic is very against that. I have been procrastinating buying another car as this one has been GREAT, I guess I have fear of a new one that is a lemon! 

I have owned 3 Lexus models now and I would much prefer to buy a used, good quality Lexus rather than a brand new rice burner that will not be as good quality nor last as long.

I agree with your mechanic, 260k miles is enough. My reasoning is software wise more than mechanically. There are so many computers in these cars, and they are all expensive to replace. I guess a reasonable low mileage '12 to '15 would be a good bet, certified by a dealer if possible. Being used, U can research it on the internet and determine by service records if the car has been a lemon, which U cannot do with a new one. Also a Lexus dealer will print out service records for u especially if they know u are interested. I had heard (somewhere on our web site) that Lexus and Toyota had somewhat cheapened their products (I don't know the years) in order to become # 1 in the world in auto sales, but that is purely speculation.  I do know that most of the ign. coils in my 2007 went bad before 80k, which I deemed quite unnecessary. Also the steering rack was leaking at 50k and was noted on service records. On the other hand mine has all the options, and so far they have been reliable. My sister's '13 has been quite reliable, but only has 20k on it. The service records should tell a good story for u.

According to Consumer Reports and my own experience after over 100,000 miles, the RX hybrids are every bit as reliable as the non-hybrids. Also, if you look at the rankings of mid-size luxury SUVs throughout the years, the RX hybrid was and is consistently rated higher than the non-hybrid. As an example, in the 2015 year-end CR buying guide, the RX450h topped all vehicles with an overall road test score of 88. The RX350 came in 6th place with an overall score of 80. Both were rated as having "much better than average" reliability but the RX450h achieves 32% better fuel mileage on average. That is very significant if you spend much of your driving time in the city. The RX400h also enjoyed a significant fuel mileage advantage over the RX350 and RX330 of similar model years.

Within a year of buying ours, the RX400h was topping the charts as best in class. So really, don't assume that because you heard of one or two hybrids having issues that they all are having "issues". That is simply not true. My advice is to buy the vehicle that compliments your driving environment - city of open highway. Hybrids will reward your wallet again and again if you live and drive in a mostly city environment.

By the way, CR lists no significant issues that were severe enough to pull reliability ratings below average within individual categories within the 2010-2014 years of RXs, both hybrid and non-hybrid. Brakes on hybrids will almost always outlast those on non-hybrids if driving conditions are equal.

Thanks super moderator! Simply stated the more technology higher probability of something to go wrong! Add to that the premium cost of the hybrid so unless you are driving alot alot  the ROI isn't there! 

From what I've been told and listed posts the  hybrid repairs are far higher in frequency   for the 400 models vs the 330/350! Perhaps the word "issues" might have been too broad! Anyway I'm glad your happy with your 400H! Don't believe everything you read! 

I have owned the 99RX300 (12 years) drove to 187k miles.  Transmission was my major expense.  I now have a 2008 RX400h bought in 2010 with 88k miles.  I have found the hybrid both incredible and scary.  The Hybrid cooling pump went  shortly after I purchased vehicle, Toyota dealership replaced it for a reasonable price.  My wife and I thoroughly love the car.  It now has 196k miles and I just replaced the second timing belt.  I had a left front wheel bearing noise, but other than just replacing shocks, control arms, ball joints the car is a interesting beast.  It is truly both great in town and on the road, surpassing the old RX300 with a better turning radius, and great upgrades in electronics.  It is smooth, quiet, and very powerful.  Yes the hybrid system is scary, but the Japanese built RX400h is a quality machine. I am going to try to push 300k miles on her.  Brakes last forever, (they have only been replaced once).  By the way Toyota can service it far cheaper than Lexus as it shares the same platform as the Hylander Hybrid. 

bayray, while your statement about complexity is often true when it concerns American and German vehicles (among others), it is generally not true with most Japanese brands and especially Lexus. And of all the articles out there that you can read about reliability, there isn't any that compares to Consumer Reports, as far as size of data, unbiased testing, and consistency.

Also, you cannot make a correct blanket statement that Lexus hybrids are not worth the extra cost without looking at:

Length of ownership
Total cost of ownership
Driving environment and habits
Costs when buying new
Costs when buying used
Government/State Subsidies (Many electric vehicles are discounted $7000 by subsidies.)

Our RX400h has saved us thousands of dollars over a comparable RX330 or RX350 over the last 12 years, especially when factoring in those periods of time when gas was over $4.50/gallon and the fact that our vehicle runs on less expensive mid-grade gasoline.

For some people who drive mostly highway  and trade their vehicle in every 3-5 years, a hybrid Lexus doesn't make sense. But for those outside of these conditions, a closer look is well-warranted.

I have owned the 99RX300 (12 years) drove to 187k miles.  Transmission was my major expense.  I now have a 2008 RX400h bought in 2010 with 88k miles.  I have found the hybrid both incredible and scary.  The Hybrid cooling pump went  shortly after I purchased vehicle, Toyota dealership replaced it for a reasonable price.  My wife and I thoroughly love the car.  It now has 196k miles and I just replaced the second timing belt.  I had a left front wheel bearing noise, but other than just replacing shocks, control arms, ball joints the car is a interesting beast.  It is truly both great in town and on the road, surpassing the old RX300 with a better turning radius, and great upgrades in electronics.  It is smooth, quiet, and very powerful.  Yes the hybrid system is scary, but the Japanese built RX400h is a quality machine. I am going to try to push 300k miles on her.  Brakes last forever, (they have only been replaced once).  By the way Toyota can service it far cheaper than Lexus as it shares the same platform as the Hylander Hybrid. I will add that the electronics have not been an issue with the 400H.  I just had the second timing belt installed and their was zero leakage at any seals (knock on wood) at the cams or crankshaft. As for premium price, the RX400h can be had cheap in the used car arena.  I recall somebody just picked one up for less than 8K dollars.  Funny that the German cars were mentioned as I had the pleasure of assisting a relative at a Speede Lube this weekend and almost unamiously the owners of Mercedes, BMW, and Audi said they would never buy another one, as they are always in the shop.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, zieke said:

I agree with your mechanic, 260k miles is enough. My reasoning is software wise more than mechanically. There are so many computers in these cars, and they are all expensive to replace. I guess a reasonable low mileage '12 to '15 would be a good bet, certified by a dealer if possible. Being used, U can research it on the internet and determine by service records if the car has been a lemon, which U cannot do with a new one. Also a Lexus dealer will print out service records for u especially if they know u are interested. I had heard (somewhere on our web site) that Lexus and Toyota had somewhat cheapened their products (I don't know the years) in order to become # 1 in the world in auto sales, but that is purely speculation.  I do know that most of the ign. coils in my 2007 went bad before 80k, which I deemed quite unnecessary. Also the steering rack was leaking at 50k and was noted on service records. On the other hand mine has all the options, and so far they have been reliable. My sister's '13 has been quite reliable, but only has 20k on it. The service records should tell a good story for u.

Just now, Deb W said:

Thank you for the advice! I think all in all, service records are the key in buying a used RX. A 2015 would be to expensive for me.

Do any owners advertise their cars on this site or another Lexus owner site? It would be great to find a used model owned by a Lexus enthusiast.

I forgot to mention that in California, a hybrid vehicle's (hybrid-specific) components are warranted for 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

• 1 year later...

I am hoping to purchase a used RX400h AWD.   What can anyone recommend or share or advise?  Should miles matter more than year? I know all maintenance matters.   I am currently driving a mint 1990 Toyota 4RNR, 131,000mi. I have LOVED that vehicle.  I have NEVER had any prob. with my 4RNR which I purchased used with 40,000mi over 30yrs ago!!.  I live downtown  in city and drive couple times a week.   I want easier city car as when I do drive (Seattle) I sit in traffic!   Also, am getting (gasp) older and the 4RNR is a little bit of a climb in. The back window keys down then open tail gate etc. And want better cupholders. LOL.  Also, I keep my car nice and to find perfect little parts (like new cupholder) its difficult on this truck.    I did pimp it out with Apple car play and backup camera!!   Lots of peeps say Im crazy to sell 4 RNR because I barely drive.  That I dont need a hybrid etc etc.   I like <2010 models as I agree with the newer being stodgy and ya, want Hybrid cause I sit in traffic.  I dont want problems.  Ive heard brake actuators can be prob.  This is not easy for me as I dont want to regret this.  I have several people interested in my 4RNR.  I also want either light blue or champagne or dark blue color with tan beige inside.   Want well cared for car like Ive cared for my 4RNR. Yep probably  a unicorn Lexus!!  Ive asked my mechanic and he says IF Im selling 4RNR I wont be happy with anything but lexus because of my standards. I have also been told to stay away from BMW etc.  Am I better off buying from dealer (ug) which put crazy high prices on them or private?  Does anyone recommend getting additional maint. package?  But then again dealer is involved???  Help!!!  I saw Deb W posts and like the feedback and have lots of common questions. Thanks ALL

8 hours ago, the analyzer said:

I am hoping to purchase a used RX400h AWD.   What can anyone recommend or share or advise?  Should miles matter more than year? I know all maintenance matters.   I am currently driving a mint 1990 Toyota 4RNR, 131,000mi. I have LOVED that vehicle.  I have NEVER had any prob. with my 4RNR which I purchased used with 40,000mi over 30yrs ago!!.  I live downtown  in city and drive couple times a week.   I want easier city car as when I do drive (Seattle) I sit in traffic!   Also, am getting (gasp) older and the 4RNR is a little bit of a climb in. The back window keys down then open tail gate etc. And want better cupholders. LOL.  Also, I keep my car nice and to find perfect little parts (like new cupholder) its difficult on this truck.    I did pimp it out with Apple car play and backup camera!!   Lots of peeps say Im crazy to sell 4 RNR because I barely drive.  That I dont need a hybrid etc etc.   I like <2010 models as I agree with the newer being stodgy and ya, want Hybrid cause I sit in traffic.  I dont want problems.  Ive heard brake actuators can be prob.  This is not easy for me as I dont want to regret this.  I have several people interested in my 4RNR.  I also want either light blue or champagne or dark blue color with tan beige inside.   Want well cared for car like Ive cared for my 4RNR. Yep probably  a unicorn Lexus!!  Ive asked my mechanic and he says IF Im selling 4RNR I wont be happy with anything but lexus because of my standards. I have also been told to stay away from BMW etc.  Am I better off buying from dealer (ug) which put crazy high prices on them or private?  Does anyone recommend getting additional maint. package?  But then again dealer is involved???  Help!!!  I saw Deb W posts and like the feedback and have lots of common questions. Thanks ALL

Funny ... we got back last night after 8 days of driving rental cars in the Seattle area doing the touristy things we didn't do during our many visits when we were (much) younger which, back then, included hiking the Wonderland Trail and climbing Mt. Rainier twice.  The main purpose of this trip was for my wife to see a new born grand niece.

IMO, miles are infinitely more important than years.  For example, my wife's seven year old hybrid Prius v wagon just hit 40,000 miles and is still like new although it's been garaged day and night most of its life.  The eight days it sat in long term parking at the Kansas City airport while we were in Seattle was by far the longest it's ever sat outside.

If you live downtown and drive only twice a week, have you considered a Prius?  I noticed that the Seattle streets are filled with both private and for hire regular Prius sedans and Prius v wagons including Orange Cab, Uber and Lyft.  If you buy a top trim older Prius (about 2011-up) you can get standard automatic emergency braking (Pre-Collision System), Dynamic Adaptive Cruise Control (DRCC), LED headlights with pressure washers, heated seats, panoramic roof, etc., etc. - probably more features than you can get on an older Lexus RX.  My wife's top-trim 2012 Prius v Five with the Advanced Technology Package can even parallel or back-in park itself.   Parking in downtown Seattle is a bit sparse to say the least and a smaller car might make it easier since so many spaces are marked "compact only".

Adaptive cruise control is VERY nice in Seattle I-5 traffic.  The rental 2019 Camry we were driving in Seattle had it as do all the vehicles we currently own and it makes driving much less stressful.

My take is that the Japan assembled Prius is the most reliable of all vehicles Toyota sells.  We have had zero problems with our Prius - not a single problem or flaw.

Or if you really want to stay with the Lexus brand, consider the CT200h hybrid.  It was discontinued for the U.S. after 2017 (still available in Canada) and is available with even more do-dads than the Prius including a memory driver seat.  It's about the size of the Prius but much snazzier.

11 hours ago, the analyzer said:

I shopped dealership for 6 months on same RX400h and they were terrible to deal with.  Ended up going to Carmax and getting a trade in value on my old RX300 and they were busy, so I started looking on their computers for RX400h while waiting.  Found exact same LEXUS Rx400h as the one I was trying to buy from stealership located about 1.5 hours away at another CarMax, and $6000 cheaper than best price from Dealership (Lexus).  Got my estimate for my RX300 (better than dealership) and went home and told wife about car in Modesto, CA.  Ending up driving there that afternoon.  Car was everything advertised.  and $6000 cheaper.  Bought it that day and drove home with both RX300 and RX400h.  Ended up selling RX300 on Craigslist for more than both CARMAX and stealership price.  Yippee.   Love my RX400h, best automobile I have owned in my life.  I would highly recommend Carmax, they treated me like Gold, and offered extended warranty if you want it.  Entire experience was outstanding.  Look for a 2008 RX400h as that was the last year of  that model and had everything on it.  Good luck.  Look at my Avatar and you will see both cars parked next to each other. 

Thanks all,

I want SUV type.  I like sitting up higher.   I dont like getting in and out of "low" down cars.   I also bring family to airport etc and  haul stuff occasionally etc.  Only want SUV.  

Regarding "dealerships"  ya dont get me started....  Seattle dealership posted a 400h and said more photos to follow... when I called no one knew anything about the car or where it was.   Then I was told the people who traded it in  took it back because, and this is a quote, "they got the wrong car".  Im like, what?  Then the car was found or back or whatever and I could not drive it because it was being detailed.  So I go home.  I get a text from sales man then asking if I want to now come and see it and I said cant cause Im at work.  Whats up with it?  ....he then doesnt answer.  I call him back next day and Oh car is sold.   I said why didnt you just text me that.   Such a joke. 

Im told by a gentleman on Craiglist that the brake actuators are a big prob. with 400H and can be up to $3000 to fix.  Hes had 4 cars and 2 have had actuator problems.  He said Lexus actually did additional warrenty on this issue. But your out of luck if its wasnt fixed betw. Apr of 2016 and Dec of 2018.  He feels $6000 car will absolutely end up $9000 cause the actuator thing will go!  He said he dealt with Toyota and Lexus. Only way to know if its been done is if it says somewhere dealership fixed it and then there has been poor parts and aftermarket parts which caused issues too.  HOWEVER,  he still says its a great car otherwise.   He has one on CL now with actuator fixed. Its FWD. 

I also wondered, as Deb does,  if any Lexus owners/enthusiast sell on this site???   Please!!   Again light blue, AWD, good condition, 400H........   :-)

You said "Also, am getting (gasp) older and the 4RNR is a little bit of a climb in.".  And you still what another SUV-like vehicle?  The Prius v has almost as much space as the RX400h and the driver seat sits higher than the regular Prius which is why my wife liked it.  I saw a butt-load of Prius v Orange Cabs in Seattle - their high cargo volume is why they are popular with cab companies.

Or consider a Toyota Highlander Hybrid if you want an RX-like hybrid vehicle - same space and most of the amenities of an RX400h at substantially less purchase and maintenance costs.  And, the rear visibility from the driver seat of a Highlander is much better than from the driver seat of an RX.  Mechanically, they are the same.

After 24 years of Lexus LS, my opinion has come to be that the only reason to buy a Lexus brand vehicle is if a similar/same vehicle is not available under the Toyota brand ... unless you really, really like the "free" pastries at the Lexus dealership.  The Toyota version of a vehicle is sometimes better than the Lexus version.  For example, the Toyota Avalon has received substantially more favorable reviews than its Lexus ES clone.

Yes the brake actuator has been a issue for some, Lexus treated me like crap when mine made noises, they said since it did not throw a code, I am out of luck.  Mine has not failed with codes yet, and I do not look forward to that repair.  As for the rest of car it is truly one of the best I have owned.  The Toyota highlander hybrid is better on fuel economy by a couple of miles per gallon and does not require premium fuel.  I also believe it has more room and offers a third row seat if needed on some models.  As for the hybrid, yes I would do again.  The Prius is an outstanding vehicle, but it is not as tall for road view.  I would not hesitate going for Prius if it meets your needs.  The Toyota Camry hybrid is awesome. The Avalon hybrid is the largest of Toyota sedans and is spectacular in all ways.  Tough deciding and I understand, I find getting in and out of the RX very comfortable with my bad back and old age.  My 93 year old Mother in law has difficulty, but she is only 4 foot 6 and cant lift her legs well.  My wife being 5 foot will not get anything except RV as she likes the height.  Good luck....You cant beat the Toyota/Lexus brand for reliability....