96 ls400 lost power while driving, lights dimmed defroster weakened, dashlights came on and also dimmed, it all seemed dependent on how much gas i was giving it.

TaterSalad89

Okay, so heres the whole break down of what happened. After wrecking my toyota i had a friend drive me to my lexus because that truck is not gonna be drivem for a while. The last time i drove my lexus was two weeks previous for about 20mins to drop it off. The only thing irregular i noticed was the heater images were unreadable, besides that everything seemed tip top. Fast forward to being dropped off at my car. It wouldnt start so my friend jumped it and ot was good to go. After about 15 mins of deiving i noticed my headlights getting really dim, especially when i let off the throttle. I also noticed all the lights and other electronics going dim and slowing down. I barely made it up my driveway as all the dashlights came on, starting with the battery light, and then the car just died. Ever since that, i could not start it again. The only way it starts now is if i jump it. The battery hookup are a little dirty but i dont see that causing all this. The alternator seems to be fine (it stays running without the positive cable on it anyways). I did some tinkering around, found what appeared to be a lose ground on the alternator and tightened it. However, my car still needs to be jumped to run. I drove down the street and back while it was running and seemed like it did fine, i cant go too far because i have no way to tow it, but it seemed like it was okay. Parked it back in the driveway and shut it off just as you normally would if everything was okay. Tried to start it again, dashlights seemed bright til i turned the key once, then they get really dim meanwhile the car doesnt sound like much is happening when i turn the key. A little chug and then almost zero power instantly. I am not sure what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I know I am new here, but I have had a similar issue with my old 2002 Dodge Stratus SE with the dreaded 2.7L V6, turned out to be a bad battery, and then later my starter failed (not related).

When was the last time you changed your battery and what are your Cold Cranking Amps and Running Amps?

If that does not solve the problem, I would also test your Alternator, apparently the power steering fluid is known to get into the alternator over time and kill them. My alternator is just starting to have issues with its bearings and I am quite sure it's from the power steering fluid.

I cleaned the ground beneath the battery, changed the battery, and tightened a pretty dang loose ground on the alternator. Its been running great the last two days. I did notice the windshield wipers slow down when i stop and go fast again when i hit the gas. So maybe there is still an issue. Im not sure right now. But i also got my truck running, so ill be okay

On 2/19/2017 at 8:39 PM, TaterSalad89 said:

I cleaned the ground beneath the battery, changed the battery, and tightened a pretty dang loose ground on the alternator. Its been running great the last two days. I did notice the windshield wipers slow down when i stop and go fast again when i hit the gas. So maybe there is still an issue. Im not sure right now. But i also got my truck running, so ill be okay

This is normal behavior for the LS.