Hybrid Battery Not Working

DavPol

I have a problem with the Hybrid battery not working:

1.            Problems first appeared very suddenly in Late October 2016 when temperatures were well above 0°C.

2.            Traction battery shows continually full (6-7 bars on display – 70% - 85%) and is continually charging.

3.            Even at low speeds at temperatures above 6°C only runs on battery for 10 – 30 seconds, and then needs engine assistance.

4.            Consumption now 8.0 – 9.5 l/100 per tank, increased from 6.5.

5.            Occasionally, when the vehicle is parked overnight with the battery showing full, it immediately displays around 30% on start-up the next day, but charges to full within ½ kilometre.

6.            When, on full battery, vehicle is forced into EV mode even at speeds less than 20kph, will empty the battery from 80% to 30% within ½km and then recharge very over the same distance  to 80%.

My local dealer had the car for 3 days, for extensive testing and states 'diagnostics showed no problem'

Effectively I have a gas engine car, not a hybrid and the dealer and Lexus Canada are stating that the car is normal.  Anybody have similar problems

I really don't know, but they had the car for three days testing and data logging, with input from Lexus Canada Technical Support.  I could ask them this question, but would need to understand what I am asking

Yes I understand totally, most folks don't wrench on their cars.  But the good news is you came here for help.  We can try to give you knowledge base to address those service writers when you show up.  The service department may have ran the test, but I don't know if that requires opening the hybrid battery box and visually inspecting.  If you type in ISC reset on this site search you will find the procedure, which even you could perform.  It is generally listed under the RX forums, but your vehicle probably shares the same sytem.  Good luck in your quest to fix your car, please post any findings when you get them.  top of the morning to you.

• Like 1

OK, so I don't appear totally stupid when I talk to the dealer.  Why should he open the battery compartment and look for water - what would that mean?

I have searched several forums for 'ISC reset' without a hit.  What is that and what does it do?  Can you possibly send me a link to it please

Here is the ISC reset thread with procedure

The engine will run longer when cold outside.  It comes on to provide heat and get all sensors up to operation.  As for the water a couple of folks have had weird hybrid battery problems and found water in the battery compartment.  I may be shooting for the stars on that one, but it is very difficult to diagnose your conditions, so I am trying to look at easier solutions that are not labor intensive or parts expensive.