Trans Fluid, Transfer Case And Differnt Oil

Sunbeam

I'm a bit confused as to whether the all wheel drive RX300 has all 3 of these.

Can't tell from the owner's manual (supplement) whether the transfer case oil and the differential oil are separare units each requiring separate fluid changes for a total of 3 including the transmission itself. When I go in to have these changed, I'd like to appear reasonably knowledgeable. Thanks.

how often do should we do oil changes to the transmission, and transfer case/differential oil? As to whether the last two oils are the same, I'd like to know also. where would they be located? in the rear of the car?

• 1 year later...
I'm a bit confused as to whether the all wheel drive RX300 has all 3 of these.

Can't tell from the owner's manual (supplement) whether the transfer case oil and the differential oil are separare units each requiring separate fluid changes for a total of 3 including the transmission itself.  When I go in to have these changed, I'd like to appear reasonably knowledgeable.  Thanks.

I found on Amsoil's website the listing for all fluid types

Question I have is, where is the drain/fill for the Transfer Case ? found everything else pretty easy so far.

2000 LEXUS RX300 3.0L 6-cyl VIN Code 1MZ-FE

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS

Engine Oil

Grade 1......API*

SAE 5W-30 XL-7500 Synthetic Motor Oil

Automatic Transmission.....TIV[2]

Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

Differential, Rear .....GL-5

Above -18°C......90

SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube

Transfer Case,.....GL-5

SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube

1. SAE 5W-30 is preferred.

2. TIV is ATF Type T-IV, Toyota part no. 08886-01705.

CAPACITIES

Engine, with filter..........5.0 quarts[1]

Cooling System, Initial Fill..........9.5 quarts

Automatic Transmission, 2WD Initial Fill..........3.7 quarts[2]

Automatic Transmission, 4WD Initial Fill..........4.1 quarts[2]

Automatic Transmission, Total Fill

U140F..........9.8 quarts

U140E..........8.8 quarts

Differential, Rear..........1.9 pints

Transfer Case,..........1.9 pints

1. After refill check oil level

2. With ENG automatic transmission operating temperature, shift through all

gears. Check fluid level in PARK and add fluid as needed.

TORQUES

Oil Drain Plug.....33 ft-lbs

Transfer case has a separate drain plug facing the passenger side behind the tranny drain plug.  Both can be opened with a 10mm Allen wrench.  Fill up through the same tranny dip stick hole with Toyota Type IV ATF.

Changing ATF

Looking at my owners manual for 2000 AWD, the transmission & front differential uses T-IV ATF and the transfer case uses gear oil. So what I'm searching for is someone that has changed the transfer case gear oil and can help with where the drain/fill is. The transmission as a drain on the bottom of the pan, and the front differential has a drain just behind the pan drain, but vertical on the side of the diff. Both transmission and front diff are filled thru the ATF dip-stick, but how the HE!! do you drain/fill the gear oil in the transfer case.

I think the attached pic is the transfer case, it says 85W-90 GL5 which is gear oil.

A lot of people use front differential and transfer case interchangably.

What one should do is to fill whatever is drained.

After you jack up the car, use a 1/2" drive, 15/16 socket, an long extension, and a breaker bar or torque wrench to loosen the blue fill plug facing the rear. Catch any gear oil leaking out with an oil pan.

Use an open end 15/16 wrench to loosen the yellow 15/16 drain plug facing down (it is just couple inches down from the blue fill plug). Be careful not to strip it because Toyota did not leave enough space to allow my Craftsman combination wrench to securely latch on - just patiently angle the wrench in until you can get a reasonable hold. That is why spray PB Blaster or WD-40 to soak up both plugs 10 minutes before starting is helpful. Last, use a hand pump to fill after draining out oil gear oil. I used Mobil 1 75w90 synthetic gear oil since it is not easy to do the front differential (that is what I call it) fluid change.

Need to rotate rear wheel by hand to make enough room for a 10mm Allen wrench to loosen the rear differential fill plug.