ES300 trans solenoid issue

Hi all.  I have a '96 ES300 with a trans that is stuck in second gear.  I have a code PO753, solenoid1.  The trans was rebuilt three years ago and has been fine since.  Fluid is full and clean.  I need to know if my problem likely is the solenoid, or more likely the valve body.   I need to know how to replace the solenoid, if I go in that direction.  It appears the valve body has to come out, and I'm afraid of dropping check balls all over the place.  Any advice is appreciated.  Otherwise I have to let go of a car that has served me well for years.\

Thanks.  Paul Smith.  Raleigh, N.C.   fat37ply@nc.rr.com

41Supercoupe,

I'm confused, ....... is it a 96 or a 2005? Ok, forget I asked.

You say it has served you well, and yet you're not willing to have a transmission tech diagnose  and give you an estimate of what the fix will be? It may well be a $400 fix or less. Is the car not worth that investment?

Now if its going to be $1500 fix, then maybe not. But for the most part, asking here is not the place to get the answers you need. There are not many, if any,  tranny techs on this forum, just guys who do brake jobs, and change the occasional timing belt or spark plugs. You need a professional's expertise. And maybe he'll tell you its a DIY type of job. Good Luck!

Thanks Gene.  Guess I'll look for someone locally.  The folks who rebuilt the tranny three years went out of business.  Most shops just want to do a complete rebuild.  The car isn't worth that expense.