Replace The Brake Rotors?

TexasLexus94

My 94 LS400 has had the brakes reworked 3 times in the last 14,000 miles. 2 times by the previous owner, and once by me. The Lexus dealer ground the rotors and replaced the pads both times. I took the car to an Indie because the brakes were "shuddering" a bit on stopping. He looked at the shoes, and said they looked nearly new-I agreed, so I had him grind the rotors only. The rotors did look very rough.

Now the brakes have a small shudder, but they also "squeal" upon a light pressure on the brakes. I'm thinking maybe the rotors are worn out, and that they should be replaced. I'm sure the car, which has 120,000 miles, has had other brake jobs, too. Just looking for ideas-Thanks a lot.

I just realized that I drove my 1st LS almost 185,000 miles on the original rotors and the new owner is still driving on the originals. Early LS cars (90-92) were particularly sensitive to overtightening the lug nuts which led to rotor warping. Although the issue was addressed somewhat in '93 with more robust rotors, most cars are sensitive to overtightened lug nuts. It is important to tighten LS lug nuts evenly and to not exceed 76 ft. lb. of torgue. An air wrench should never be used. A Lexus dealer mechanic once torqued my lug nuts to about 150 ft. lbs. so now I check the torque myself after anyone removes the wheels. Your indie mechanic should be able to tell you if the rotors are warped.

My suggestion is to 'wait a while' !!!!!

You had the rotors turned and did not install new pads--thus pads aren't seated yet.

Rotors should not be rough !!!!! unless you are rubbing in a axial direction with your fingernail. New rotors are 'lapped'--not rough. Could be the shop was using dull cutters and they were 'chattering'--that will rough it up. maybe they will smooth out.

just wait about 400-500 miles and see what happens. Rotors are only worn out when they go below min thickness.

Heed the torque comment.

If it continues, then bite-the-bullet and get new rotors. Don't think you need a battleship anchor for a fishing boat--unless you race the thing!!!!!!

Mine are original with 165k---but whenever they shutter again-it is new ones for me.

I have a 1991 and would like to replace the rotors with aftermarket Bremble Rotors. But, for some reason they are never available for 1993 and newer LS 400's. Does anyone know why this is? does anyone know where I can get some

drilled and slotted rotors?

Thanks,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

i personally dont know any bugdet drilled/slotted rotors and i dont have $ to get brembo setup but since my rotors are gettin worse and they squeak all the time i will have to go for the stock oem replacement.

I think the ones being sold on Ebay are okay, but will wear as fast as your OEMs.

445187 :

What's your budget when Big Brake Packages? Your welcomed to contact the guys who made my Wilwood Package. The fronts were $1500 instead of the $2k.