CEL and Bulb failure light on when press brake after staring car

Calikid13

I have a 1990 Lexus LS400 and the check engine light and bold failure light is on. When I disconnect my battery to clear red I'll start the car and it won't be on it will come back on only when I step on the break when I'm stopped. But I don't have any lights I need to be replaced. Would anyone have an idea what this could be?

probably noting to do with the bulbs but possibly ABS or braking system itself. Also the CEL may be something different to the brake warning light. You need to get a code from the CEL and let us know what you get.

You could check the brake light switch is actually working...I believe there is a pad that drops off the pedal therefore not allowing the switch to be activated when the pedal is pressed...worth checking at least

• 4 months later...

Thanks I appreciate your help. And I have pulled the codes and the only one coming up is 78. And that's the O/D light blinking. Which believe is when u push the pedal all the way down it's not going far enough to activate the switch. I think. And then the check engine light won't even blink at all!! If there were no codes thought it would blink continuously. But doesn't even come on