Correct Cold Tire Pressure

Between 32 & 35 psi I would suggest. Get yourself a digital tire pressure guage as well. Worth it's wait in gold & only about $7 - 12 depending on the one you get at any popular auto part store. Check the sticker on your door jamb to double check correct inflation just to be sure!

:cheers:

Don't go by the tire. The tire is the MAX PRESSURE that is the maximum pressure you can put in the tires without them being unsafe. The sticker on the door is what Lexus has decided is the best compromize between ride, handling, and fuel economy (brand of tire doesn't matter). That should be your LOW point. The max pressure on the tire can be your HIGH. You can safely set the pressure anywhere between the LOW and the HIGH, wherever you think it feels the best.

Each to his own I guess. I guess the state of Massachusetts is wrong with that.....

32 to 35 is just fine and will not casue issues. i have been doing that since I coudl drive and my old man is TOLD to do that on all his patrol cars.

As I still hold my ground on, the car does not know/care what size tires are on the rims. I can put very wide tires on stock rims. Then what?

Being the pain, example here, if I have a stock car and put corvette tires and rims (size 50's) I guess I go by the car sticker for air? No way. Or I can put the widest tires I can find on stock rims. Do I still go by the car sticker? Nope.

The car sticker is only for the size noted on the sticker (ie: rims and tire size) Both are integral to eachother.

Go by the tire since that is what is rated PSI wise per that perticular tire brand and size.

Thats a common misconception, email a tire manufacturer and ask them and they'll tell you that the PSI rated on the tire is the maxmimum PSI, in fact thats how its marked "MAX PSI". The rating on the car is of course based upon using the same size tires and the same size wheel that came on the car, the brand doesn't matter. Sure 32-35 is fine, its underneath the max press on those tires. Even over the max press would be fine probably but you'd get uneven wear. As I said before, you can air them up to the max pressure on the tire, the number on the door is what the manufacturer feels gives the best combination of ride/handling/and fuel economy. It is however just their reccomendation, but its a good place to start. I run my tires at 33PSI cold, the sticker says 29 and the max pressure on the tires is 44. Its entirely possible the state of Massachusetts is wrong. States can be wrong too ;)

Also I don't know if I just read your post the wrong way but there is no reason to get defensive, we're all here to share ideas and learn.

I am not defensive at all, just that is it NOT a common misconception. When you email a tire place they state some low PSI due to political and budget reasons.

On the flip side, you nailed it. The tire’s psi is different then moron sticker. You go by the tires and not the car.

As I noted before the car does not know what size tires you have.

As you stated, “The rating on the car is of course based upon using the same size tires and the same size wheel that came on the car, the brand doesn't matter” BINGO!!!!!!! That is 100% correct

The sticker is only good if you have the size tire it states. Outside of this narrow field, the sticker is worthless.

I do not think the state is wrong since it would endanger many lives on police officers.

:P

According to any tire manufacturer, car manufacturer, mechanic, service rep I have ever talked to that is a common misconception. Tell me this, why would they even put a sticker with a different PSI if it made no difference and why do tires say "MAX PSI" max means MAXIMUM the definition of MAXIMUM is:

max·i·mum    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (mks-mm)

n. pl. max·i·mums or max·i·ma (-m)

The greatest possible quantity or degree.

The greatest quantity or degree reached or recorded; the upper limit of variation.

The time or period during which the highest point or degree is attained.

An upper limit permitted by law or other authority.

Astronomy.

The moment when a variable star is most brilliant.

The magnitude of the star at such a moment.

Mathematics.

The greatest value assumed by a function over a given interval.

The largest number in a set.

Its the most you can use. So it makes sense you dont HAVE to use the most right?

When you email a tire place they state some low PSI due to political and budget reasons.

So my independent mechanic tells me a low PSI for political reasons? He's in the back pocket of the use less air conspiracy? Or budget reasons? He doesn't want to pay his air salesman more money? C'mon, that doesn't make any sense at all. If it were for political reasons if anything they would tell you HIGHER pressures to use less fuel and emit less pollutants. What possible reason would they have for giving you an artificially low number?

The sticker is only good if you have the size tire it states. Outside of this narrow field, the sticker is worthless.

But he does have the tire size the sticker states, as do the vast majority of people. Most people replace their tires with tires of the same size.

I do not think the state is wrong since it would endanger many lives on police officers.

You have far more faith in the intellegence of government officials than I. I trust tire and car manufacturers, service reps and mechanics when it comes to advice about my car more than I do a burocrat behind a desk ;)

The sticker is for the person that is well, not too “tool friendly” I should say. Why do that put sticker on mowers for fingers on the blade deal? Same reason.

It is political since some mechanic, wrench turner, tells me 100 PSI and I do that I can and would sue him for all he is worth. That is what the world is coming too.

Higher pressure DOES make the car run with less fuel. It that was not true, put 0 PSI in tire and see the MPG you get? :D

Next, I do not know the tires size since it was not stated in the topic (only rim size). I do not know how that relates to a tire size?

Again, I agree but I know what the state police has done for over 30 years and it has not caused a problem to date.

Service reps and mechanics are not on my “high list” . My friends are mechanics and well I would not want them working on my cars, etc. I see what they do and talk about. Service reps are overpaid secretaries. From the ones at my Lexus dealer to when I had my Ford, they are not that bright. Anyone can answer the phone and use a computer. Opps, I take that back..not all can do that since my taxes support the un-working.

I've got 4 cars, LS430, Buick Reatta, VW Synchro, and an Excalibur. I run 35 lbs in all of them (for the reasons given in the other posts). But every time, weekly, I check the tire pressure, I also look at the tread. Regardless of the measured pressure, too much pressure will cause wear in the center of the tread; too little, wear on the outer surface (both sides of the tire). And you can make adjustments as necessary. I've seen the low pressure wear often, but rarely see evidence of too much pressure. Also run your hand laterally across the tread to check the wear. Poor allignment will cause uneven wear. And a frequent tire inspection may turn up other problems, such as tread seperation, nails, etc. Remember, most of us run at speeds of 60+ mph frequently. A tire problem can happen at the worst time and under the worst conditions; and many of them can be picked up with frequent observation.

hhmm, interesting you mentioned "too little, wear on the outer surface (both sides of the tire). "

I have always had the tire pressure at 26 psi on my stock 15" 205 (or is it 195?) 65 15 tires and I have noticed wear to the outside o the tires today. The tires are about 1 yr old Khumo's ECSTA KH11

Higher pressure DOES make the car run with less fuel. It that was not true, put 0 PSI in tire and see the MPG you get? :D

0 psi, tire would have come off the rim. I take my Infiniti QX4 off-road and the lowest I run it down is 21psi, some hard core are at 10psi. Have seen a something less than 10psi come off the rim on hard climb.

For the sake of argument, let's assume we are all using a standard tire size that came with the car maker.

I don't think you should go by the tire max pressure but rather using manufacturer recommended pressure as a starting point and work your way up not pass max tire pressure of course.

As pointed out earlier by HRP, the wrong psi will cause uneven wear. I've experienced the center tread wearing off first when I was driving my first car in college and have been making sure to balance the tire pressure ever since. Having too high of pressure also changes the load capacity of individual tires.

35 - 40 psi? 40psi is unusually high, my max pressure on the Infiniti tire is only 35psi. I hope no one actually pump their tires all the way to 40psi without checking the max tire pressure located on the tire sidewall since not all tires can handle this type of pressure.

More tire pressure just makes the tire sidewall flex less and tire rounder, thereby getting improve handling and fuel economy, but running at a dangerously high pressure level will only lead to trouble.

I've been running 33psi on my ES330 hoping to get the most life on my tire by even tread wear, but this is experimental for now.

Mburnikas, no offense, but I notice on all of your posting that I have seen so far, you tend to be defensive and even insulting at times on all your postings that I've encountered. I don't think there is a need for that as everyone in this forum is providing a fun and free service advice that will benefit everyone.

Mburnikas, no offense, but I notice on all of your posting that I have seen so far, you tend to be defensive and even insulting at times on all your postings that I've encountered. I don't think there is a need for that as everyone in this forum is providing a fun and free service advice that will benefit everyone.

No offense taken, if someone reads it that way, that is there issue not mine. I am having fun and adding comments, good or bad to this free service.

This is the basis for a forum. Debating back and forward. Does everyone agree at times nope, am I being well within my rights yup. Am I "flipping out" nope.

I stand my ground on issues that are incorrect or no one has the correct data. Or even posted there data.

That being said it is time for some coffee.

For the ES, it's agreed that somwhere between 32 - 35 psi is the correct range, (44 psi is the max pressure for my Toyo's on the sidewall....but ALWAYS follow what the automaker recommends for the correct pressure). SUV tires are a different animal alltogether with different characteristics than a passenger car tire hence the reason why the "max" tire pressure for a lot of SUV's is in the normal operating range of a passenger car tire.

Lexusfreak: Here is a question: You have a delta of 12 PSI between the tires on the car and the sticker on the car; that is a delta of 28% in PSI, big number here. This goes back to my original post. So if you go by the sticker you will be under inflated on the tire by 12 PSI max.

Also, you could go up to the max PSI of 44 and be perfectly expectable for the tires. Also the rims do not care about the tires and vs versa. What will go first the tire or rims? The tire is what drives the PSI not the rims size. Again the sticker is only good for the tires and rims listed on the sticker. Outside of that, the sticker is, well, no good.

Here is one for ya, My old truck (1-ton F-350 diesel ) was filled at 32 PSI per Ford, dumb move. Next the sticker on the truck’s door was for 80 psi in back in 65 in front. The tire wall was 65 max. So the sticker is wrong per the tire. It is causing an over inflation of 15 PSI or 19%.

Without getting into how the rims feel about the tires or whatever (wasen't that on Jerry Springer?) :blink: of course they don't care about each other, they are not alive!!! Good lorn man, are you alright over there? :rolleyes: :whistles: My point is, on the sticker door jamb, for my 01 ES it states that for my tire size which is 205 60 16 (v rated) that both front & back tire pressures should be 32 psi for best fuel economy, even tire wear & comfortable ride (a couple of lbs higher is fine to 34 or 35 psi). The maximum pressure should not exceed the psi stated on the sidewall of the tire that's on your vehicle (in my case being Toyo Proxes TPT's that is 44 psi, my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S were 51 Max pressure for my Maxima). So far I have no issues with anything that I mentioned above so in this case I agree with Lexus as after all, they put that in writing already & that's good enough for me! :rolleyes:

Lexusfreak---

Just add more fuel to the fire :D , My Lexus manual, "...Do not exceed the maximum cold tire pressure molded on the tire sidewall ". That about sums it up for me. You can go up to MAX psi and be good. So the sticker is nothing. If you went by the sticker you would be 9 PSI short. That is 26%, pretty large number.

If you install your Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on your lexus you would be 38% off/less and for those loving the 26 psi number, it is even worse; try 49%. The door sticker method looks like it fails pretty good.

:ph34r: Oh, I am looking at this topic from an enginnering standpoint since that is my job; Thinking "out of the box" with forces, loads, pressure, etc.

I would again go by the tire but some people love stickers for some wachy reason. Maybe if you try real hard and scratch it, it will smell like rubber! :D

My manual (and sticker) says cold tire pressure at 32 psi so I'm usually between there & 35 as I said, dosen't say anything about 26 psi anywhere on my 01. As for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, I had them on my 01 Maxima not on my ES they were an ultra high performance tire (and VERY good ones at that), but the ES is a different animal as you know so I only have the Toyo's which are only a high performance which is all that car needs and then some. It's funny, everywhere I've looked & read info about tire pressures....all advice has always been to go with what the automaker recommends.....your the only one that says to go to max pressure by what the actual tire sidewall says. :blink: :whistles: