2010 + RX Reliability and long term

aachowhan

Currently I have a 2007 RX350  nearing 110,000 miles and for a while I have been contemplating on upgrading to something else. I looked at the Acura MDX but they seem to have oil burning issues so I came back to Lexus.

For some reason I am paranoid about the reliability of this 2007 RX350. It has the power steering leak going on, a reliable mechanic of mine said I should replace the water pump soon, and recently little annoying sounds have popped up, vibrating wires behind the panels in front and something rattling in the back which is driving me crazy. On top of that struts are leaking a bit, brakes need to be replaced soon, and spark plugs probably need to be replaced (This is just maintenance I know). Overall I like the car, but something just has be questioning its reliability.

I was thinking of getting a new model RX and was wondering if many of these issues were fixed? I know they went to electric steering and the rear struts are known to leak on the 2010+ models. I know some of this is just maintenance on a car but I can't help think that if I just trade it in instead of getting all this work done I'll be better off just getting a RX with less mileage. 

• Like 1

Lexus is unquestionably one of the most reliable brands.

I would suggest making sure you have checked the cars history before purchasing. Also have it inspected. 

try not to worry about the small problems, as long as the homework on researching a car is done properly then the chances of it being a bad purchase is much lower.

I agree with Steve...I drive a Honda which I bought on the basis that it is one of the most reliable vehicles in existence. However, I think Lexus is a most worthy competitor to Honda and may eventually end up overtaking them in the reliability tables that are published every year.

Each vehicle is different in the way it has been looked after and driven...it really is a case of having it thoroughly checked over before buying.

• Like 1

Personally I would fix the issues, and drive further, The lack of a car payment more than compensates for maintenance dollars. I have 193k miles on my RX400h and am loving it.  Replaced all shocks and mounts, lower control arms and ball joints, next coming up again is the timing belt.  But hey no car payment, and a great ride.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of my ignition coils died just this week and I decided to change the spark plugs to on my 2007 RX and someone put in the wrong spark plugs before. Instead they used the ones for the RX330 and someone was not careful.

Anyway, I have a potential buyer and we are on track to seal the deal. I test drove some 2013 ish model RX350s with less than 30K miles and I liked all the new features. Mostly the blindspot monitoring system. In the city that's a life saver for sure. Add in what I already like about my RX, more space and diff lock is neat to for weather, I'm pretty happy with what I saw. Only con so far is that it's a bit slower than the 2007, O well, it's not a sports car.

Is there any large issues that stick out on these cars? What about the waterpump? I heard that on the 2grfe the waterpump is a bit weak and can fail. Haven't heard to many stories like the oil cooler line horrors, but just wondering.

Aside from that I believe I'm quite set on this car. I think it will be something to keep for long term and worth it in the long run.