Steering rack replacement/leakage

Well, I have had the dreaded steering rack leakage problem for some time now. I was looking at replacement racks online and trying to figure out if it's worth replacing or not. My 2007 RX is 107k miles but I'm wondering if I should just trade it in and forget about trying to fix it? If I do fix it, will the issue come back?

Has anyone had this issue and had it repaired and has the issue came back?

We have a 2009 RX350 with 150K miles.. just had the steering rack replaced due to leaking.  It cost us $593 for the rack and new fluid and $285 for the labor plus $90 for a front end alignment at our local mechanic who does all of our service work.  The rest of the car runs great so felt it was a worthwhile investment,.  we intend on running this car to 300K miles if we can.

5 hours ago, Jon_W said:

We have a 2009 RX350 with 150K miles.. just had the steering rack replaced due to leaking.  It cost us $593 for the rack and new fluid and $285 for the labor plus $90 for a front end alignment at our local mechanic who does all of our service work.  The rest of the car runs great so felt it was a worthwhile investment,.  we intend on running this car to 300K miles if we can.

Where did you have this done? At the dealer or a car shop? What rack did you use? OEM or some aftermarket or rebuilt? How does the car handle? Any differences?

We had the work down at our local foreign car mechanic, Matt's Imports on Whidbey Island, WA, so I suspect it is not an option for you.  The replacement rack was an aftermarket rebuild that he recommended instead of the OEM/new part.  The car handles great.

• 1 month later...

I just had this done too: 04 RX 330 w/170Kmi. Rack and all front end bits (outer tie rods, bar links, etc). Labor was $500, alignment was $100, aftermarket parts $300 +/-/ Rack was from Detroit Axle, online.

Now I've got to do the CV joints/axle as sometimes it gets scary shaky at speed.