Ac Problem

Hi,

I'm new to this board so excuse any errors in my posting.

The AC in my 96' GS 300 shuts down when weather is hot. In cool temps it works fine. When temps are hot It will work fine in low speed but will begin to flicker if I use it a while at high fan speed. Also when I use the AC and park the car when I return the AC light will flicker until I have driven awhile then it will begin to work. I think its a Breaker or Relay overheating in the AC system but I am not sure. Hopefully someone can give me some info

Thanks

My 94 acts similar with the light flickering, but it never does actually work.

I posted a thread on it a couple days ago, but so far, no responses to it. Here is the link to that thread in case youwant to chek it as well:

<a href=http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8942&>Thread on light blinking on my AC unit</a>

Hey PS930, here is something I found out...

By pressing the Auto button and the Recirculate button at the same time, and then turning the ignition to the 'on' position, the heater unit will display the codes for the errors. Here but here is the next part of the problem.

My unit displayed error code 21, which is a solar sensor error. The solar sensor is the sensor on the right front of the dash.

I called my lexus dealer, and spoke to a tech there, who told me that almost all of the cars gs300's that come in come in with that error, from the AC being turned on in a 'dark' garage or going through a tunnel. He said that he has never had to replace a solar sensor.

He told me that the light blinking is almost always a sign of the clutch on the compressor malfunctioning. Also, that they always replace the compressor along with the clutch when this happens.

So thought I would give you a heads up.

Oh, BTW, to clear the codes on the unit you remove the 2nd fuse in the fuse box under the hood, from the top closest to the passenger compartment. It should be 7.5amps. Leave it removed for 10 seconds, with the key off, and it should clear all the codes on the AC/heater unit.

Hope this is in some way helpful and that you got yours fixed. :) Mine is a new clutch and compressor. :(

jbrubaker

Thanks for the info. I haven't had time to look into the problem but you have helped me. I plan to buy the Lexus Shop manual on CD soon also.

I'm more onto 55-57 Chevys so if you ever need any help in that area feel free to conatct me

I bought the manual on CD from an ebay seller, was nothing more than a pirated mitchell manual.

Going to buy the hard copyand let 'em kill a tree for me. Think it is 2 vlumes, around $140 on ebay.

jbrubaker, the $100-140 two volume factory manuals on ebay aren't 100% real factory manuals either. They are photocopies of the real manuals and so the print quality is not as crisp and paper is more fragile. The cover and bindings are also fragile. It's fustrating because the ebay sellers never admit in their ads they are merely selling photocopies.