Ran Out Of Gas - Not Possible?

I ran out of gas on the highway and never got a low fuel light.  USAA delivered me one gallon of fuel which got me to a gas station 3 miles away.  At the gas station it would only take 13.4 gallons of fuel.  So I was only able to add ~ 14.4 gallons of fuel to a tank that should hold 19.8 gallons.  It drove fine after that for the next 150 miles to get me home. Is it possible that my fuel pump is weak? I've also hit a period of time (past 6 months) when I have to crank the car twice to get it to start regardless of how long I crank it the first time.  But the second time I hit the ignition, it always starts right away.  Before I change out the fuel pump, I thought I would seek the advice of this group.  I'm original owner of this 2000 GS400 and it only has 128,000 miles on it.

I had the same problem with a 2008 GS 400. While freeway driving, the car would die (ran out of gas) but I actually has 1/8 tank. The problem was the design of the gas tank, its shaped somewhat like an 'upside U'. There is a pump in the tank that keeps the fuel level consistent on both sides, when this stops working, the side of the tank where the fuel is being pumped to the engine 'runs out of gas'!

My car had similar mileage. It took the dealership a long time to find the problem (after they finally believed it would run out of gas when I still had 1/8 tank) and a lot of $$$$.

I have no idea what its called, just what it does. Even the dealer was puzzled.

Off the subject for a moment .... I no longer have my GS 400, but I have a set of 18in Weld Evo chrome wheels with Nitto summer tires that I need to sell cheap ($200) if you are interested, I live in Columbus?