Hydraulic Booster Failure?? 2003 GS430

Hi

Need some technical help on the hydraulic booster.  Getting error codes C0226, C0236 and C0246.  Anyone ecounter these before?

My 2003 GS430 with 220k on it!!! developed a spongy brake pedal very similar to what you feel when your master cylinder goes out.  I had read up on it and have the service manuals but decided to take it in case there were other things I should fix while I'm at it.  I used my OBDII and didn't get any codes which is weird as the brakes were definitely a problem and a bit scary as you weren't sure if you were going to stop.  

The repair shop discovered the codes, not sure why my OBDII wasn't picking them up but it reads as if there are shorts / opens in the electrical.  The compressor was making noise when I had the hood open indicating that it was trying to pressurize the system but it would shut off and then start running again repeat.  So I was pretty sure this was the master cylinder seals were allowing fluid to pass through.

I can get the master cylinder from lexus in GA for $60 with 4day shipping, my lexus dealer can get it in a day for $90.  BTW, the lexus dealer said the master cylinders are on the discontinued list.  But the whole system can run anywhere from 1k to 2k so its pricy and not sure if I need the whole thing, especially with 220k on the clock (oil leaks and a few minor things to replace but still pretty good shape.

I'm waiting on the shop to get back to me as they wanted a couple of days to troubleshoot the problem and they know I don't want to spend 1k on a part.  I can use the money on the suspension and oil leak ;-))   So hoping that someone can provide some insight on this.  From what I read they last the life of the car and I don't think mine is on its last legs....

TIA

Paul paolor@earthlink.net direct