93 Sc400 Purchase Update

I wanted to update my post on the 93 sc400 purchase. Test drive reveals a low decible sound comming from the rear over 40 miles an hour. It is not a vibration but a low humming like sound but only after 40 miles or more. Under 40 no noise. The tires are new goodyear normal highway radials. They ARE NOT the all terrain style. What do you think is causing this noise, rear wheel bearings, tranny, ect? Any comments, questions would be appreciated.

Does the humming have an interval sound. Something like: WooWooWooWoo..., or is it Wooooooooooooooooo...? Try turning in both directions somewhat hard at 40+mph and see if the sound changes while you are turning.

Earlier models including LS had the rear-end noise which was normal. One of those imperfection on the Lexus and I wouldn’t worry about it. Some owners notice the sound, and I remember a friend taking his brand new ’92 SC in to dealer about the noise but they told him it was normal noise. I also heard the noise on the earlier LS. I really couldn’t hear the ‘wooing’ unless I paid a close attention but as long as the noise is not loud, and it is only noticeable when in cruise or acceleration, don’t worry. If the sound persists even in de-acceleration you may have problem in other areas. Change the axle oil (thicker) and see if it lessens. In addition, earlier LS had the little rattling noise under the car, which was also an imperfection. There are many imperfection in all cars but the Lexus only have minor problems. Some of the famous one and ‘hushy’ hushy’ repair is the BMW 4.0 failure in 5 and 7 series cars in early ‘90’s They made the timing gears with plastics and many failed near 60-80k causing complete engine failure. BMW extended the warranty to 100k without making a recall. No questions ask repair.