RX350 Front Passenger Seat Problem

We moved the seat far forward and laid down our front passenger seat flat to move a large object. When we returned the seat to its normal upright position, a black bar on the lower right side was sticking out and a gray cover had come out of its track. We moved the seat forward again and tried to put the black bar into position to match its twin on the left back side of the seat. It will not stay in position and, because it is sticking out, we can't place the gray cover back into the track. Can anyone please help us with this issue? Photos are below.

seat_problem.png

This may require removing the seat and disassembly/reassembly or replacement of the seat track system. Not sure of the construction, but there may be a roll-pin or rivet or other piece of securing hardware that has failed, allowing this rail to move rearward from it's normal location. Personally, I'd unbolt the seat tracks from the floor, remove the seat and compare the broken side to the still-intact side to determine the point of failure and replace with a suitable replacement, whether it be rivet, roll-pin or bolt/nut. I'm guessing it's long past warranty, so I would try that...what have you got to lose, except saving yourself a repair bill if you take it to a garage/dealership.

• Like 1

My husband and I are not really mechanics. Do you think we could actually do this without causing more major problems???? I am all about saving money, but I don't want to make trouble for myself either. I really appreciate your advice!!! Thanks so much!

It all just depends on your "comfort level"...if you're not comfortable with it, do you have a local mechanic who does the routine maintenance on it, that you could have take a look at it, or do you normally take it to a dealership to have everything taken care of? My father taught me how to do oil changes and routine maintenance when I was 12 years old...the minor, easy stuff. While I'm FAR from an ASE certified mechanic, I've learned how to do things myself over the years (I'll be 56 next month). We just traded my wife's '09 RX 350 in on her '16 RX...otherwise, I'd go out to the garage and investigate what's involved in removing that seat from the floor...usually it's just 4 bolts or nuts, and you may have to remove some plastic covers to access them. There will also be an electrical plug for the power/heated seat. Otherwise, it should be pretty straightforward...but again, if you're not comfortable with it, I'd definitely suggest letting an experienced mechanic take a look at it.  You're welcome! Wish I was there..I'd be happy to take a look at it.

If my poor husband is feeling really brave, I may talk him into removing the seat. Apparently, no good deed goes unpunished!!! I was buying a bed for my niece, who's had some medical issues recently, and moving it to our house so she can live with us and go to college next year. This is how my car got damaged. Oh well, for her sake, I'd do it again, no matter what happens to the car. Again, I really appreciate your assistance. You are very kind to help us! Your new car is beautiful!