High Pitch Sound from Engine of '97 Lexus LX450

Willis0607

I'm experiencing something very strange with my Lexus SUV - 1997 LX450 (has 250K) and wanted to run it by you guys.  See comments below.

Was driving around on Saturday (10/08) during storm from Hurricane Matthew - I'm in Raleigh, NC area.  I was almost home when I noticed a extremely high pitch sound coming from the engine/under the hood.  Once home, I turned the car off but still high pitch sound continued.  I finally had to disengage the positive battery terminal for the high pitch sound to stop.  On Sunday, I popped the hood and attached the positive battery terminal and the high pitch sound started again (car wasn't started and/or key wasn't in ignition).  I tried this again on Monday evening with same results - I just touched the positive cord to the positive battery terminal & high pitch sound started again. 

I'm assuming this is something electrical since the sound is occurring while car isn't running.  Any ideas what this sound might be?

Hi Larry....welcome to the Forum

Sounds like it may be the security alarm siren or horn...maybe water ingress.

Would also be worth checking the security and condition of the battery terminals.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers  Trevor

Hi Trevor - Thanks for your feedback and I'll take a closer look at what you mentioned.  It wasn't the horn (too high pitched for a horn) but could be something like a security alarm siren (even though I'm not aware of a security alarm with my SUV).  I'll dig a little bit more!!

Thanks again!