1999 Lexus GS-300 Water Running Down Driver Side Pillar

i have a 1999 Lexus GS-300 that started leaking water down the Driver Side Window Pillar - Half way Down between Ceiling and Window - This started about a year ago and thought maybe the Sunroof Drain line was clogged - Also thought the windshield was not sealed correctly (Im on my 4th windshield) but not replaced is the last 6 years or so. Every heavy rain the pillar leaks - Within the last year I've had the Starter act up - 1st occurrence was the Starter - Car was cranking by itself without the key in the ignition. So I replaced it  (it literally fried). Replaced with NEW Rebuilt Starter from Local Starter/Alternator shop that last 2 weeks and it Fried too - had a Lexus Mechanic tell me the Chinese Rebuilt Starter was not properly rebuilt because the internal wires were not insulated with wires that were a HEAVIER Gauge Wire - So I returned it to the Starter/Alternator shop for a replacement that was under warranty.

Owner game me a hard time but reluctantly  replaced it at NO CHARGE. Replaced the starter and it worked for 5 weeks then it Fried too - (pattern seem to follow a HEAVY RAIN) where the car would crank on it's own and literally burn itself out. Checked the Ignition Switch and it was fine so I replace the starter with a Used OEM Lexus (DENSO) starter and it worked fine until this week. Got Heavy Rain from Hurricane Matthew and it acted up again. Car battery was dead - so I jumped it - The minute I put the jumper cables on the battery posts the car started to crank the starter without the Key being in the Ignition? I pulled the Internal Starter fuse (5 AMP FUSE) in the Interior Car Fuse Box near the Emergency Brake and tried jumping the car again but the Starter was engaging with the Key out of the Engine. Then I pulled the 40 AMP fuse from under the hood from the Fuse Box just in front of the battery and this allowed me to at least charge the battery.

After the charge I replaced both fuses (the 5 amp fuse in the Cabin near the Emergency Brake and then the 40 amp fuse under the hood by the battery) and this seem to reset the starter and allowed me to at least start the car. There was noticeable moisture/ water in/around the bottom of the cabin under the Emergency Brake Fuse Box which more than likely was shorting out the starter and Dashboard because lights were flickering and coming on and off. I took a air Compressor to the Fuse Box with me to BLOW OUT any Visible Moisture from the Fuse Box inside the Cabin under the Emergency Brake Fuse Box. My question is has anyone ever had the same issue or a fix? There seems to be a connection with the Heavy Rain getting into the ECU and bridging some of the connections that is causing all the issues. I even tried locating the leak and rapped a Plastic Bag around the ECU to try and waterproof it. It seemed to work for a couple months until ALL the rain from Hurricane Matthew hit us here in Pennsylvania (not that much Thank God).

Any Help/Comments are appreciated! 

• 2 years later...

UPDATE;;; FIXED!!

This week while I had spare time on my hands I took my car to a Local Auto Glass Shop to have the perfectly fine Windshield pulled from the car for the Auto Glass Shop to replace the Windshield. Within 1/2 hour I received a phone call from the owner who said "WHOEVER REPLACED THE WINDSHIELD LAST DID NOT REPLACE THE TOP RAIL" and the entire frame of the windshield has ROTTED and has been leaking for years. The Top Rail had 3/4 rivets that were the size of a pencil that were allowing water to sit in the channel and sat in there and rotted and corroded the Windshled frame. Literally the entire  Windshield channel had major rust around the entire frame of Windshield due to Incorrect Installation of Windshield. Granted this would of been the 5th Windshield but it was not the problem. The problem was the last installation.

This would explain why my car was shorting out and burning out the starters! Auto Glass Shop saved my last windshield - ground out the rust - painted and Rust Proofed the entire frame. NO MORE LEAK - NO MORE WHISTLING WINDSHIELD - NO MORE STARTER SHORTING - NO MORE LEAK !!!

• 3 years later...

So it was your window that was causing the water to get in, ultimately frizzing out the starter?!? I’m having the same issue, every time there is a hard rain fall or I’m driving long periods of time (1hr plus) in the rain. 

theres def. water getting into both the driver and passenger window 

6 minutes ago, Bruce wayne GS300 said:

So it was your window that was causing the water to get in, ultimately frizzing out the starter?!? I’m having the same issue, every time there is a hard rain fall or I’m driving long periods of time (1hr plus) in the rain. 

theres def. water getting into both the driver and passenger window 

Yes, my front windshield was replaced literally 4-5 times - Apparently the previous installers did not caulk it correctly and it rusted the frame behind windshield without my knowledge. WIndshield starting leaking and dripping while raining or heavy rain from headliner and dripped on my left pant leg if seated in car. Had a local window guy pull the windshield and he literally took pictures of the rust behind the windshield so it was not sealed correctly and the water was running down the driver side windshield pillar and shorting out the fuse box. (Car was starting and cranking by itself when it was sitting on my driveway by itself with the keys out of the ignition)!   I also cleared out and blew out the sun roof drains on each 4 corners of the sun roof when opened - I also cleaned out and blew out the windshield drain trow below the windshield that was blocked with leaves this could cause all the water to overflow and run down the firewall. But ALL IN ALL the local Windshield guy thinks this was leaking for quite some time because the rust was really bad. He grinded the rust out then caulked and epoxied the *BLEEP* out of frame then he replaced the windshield. He did not have to replace the windshield with a new one when he removed it in his shop he was able to remove then replace the original. Problem went away no more miss fires!

I would not replace the starter - you need to address the water getting into the fuse box 1st - The starter is not the problem unless it won't start or crank over. Clear the Sunroof Drains 1st - then clear the windshield cowl  where water comes off the windshield the drain could be blocked and water is sitting in the Windshield Cowl and overflowing into your electrical which is causing the starter to crank and water in the car floors.

The WIndshield Cowl Drain is located under the Windshield Wipers there's a drain under the wipers and below the Windshield that should collect water then drain that water down both pillars and under the wheels to the ground. Use a metal hanger or air compressor to clear the lines. To test to see if the drain is clear and drains properly - fill a 5 gallon bottle of water and slowly dump water into the windshield cowl it should drain - if it does not the windshield drain cowl is blocked and that could be the cause of you electrical issues. Let me know what you find feel free to call me if you need help. (856) 296-1238