RX 330 potential new owner - need advice!

I am purchasing a 2006 RX330 with 67,000 miles on it and think I am getting a pretty good deal. I hope I'm making the right decision, as I'm giving up a 2013 Toyota hybrid with blue tooth and navigation to save some money.  The RX330 was owned by an older woman and she rarely drove in in the last few years. I took it to a mechanic who looked it over and said it looked clean. He did say the serpentine belt looked dry, but thought it would be okay to drive it a while before replacing the drive belt.  I'm wondering what everyone thinks. Should I go ahead and replace the drive belt since it is older and has been sitting a lot? I looked up the service records and the last service at the dealer was at 35,000 for recalls. I know she has gotten regular oil changes since then. The car has new brakes, a new battery, and the tires have 12,000 miles on them. She has driven 4900 miles since the last oil change, but she has only driven a couple thousand miles a year.  The coolant reservoir was empty-- I guess from sitting-- but the coolant wasn't low. What is the normal oil change interval and what type of oil is recommended? Is there any other service I should have done? The sellers did say it has a squeak in the steering wheel when it starts up, but it goes away. Any idea what that would be? And what would the price range be for this vehicle? It only has leather and sunroof, and 6-CD player. It is the metallic beige color. No other special features that I can see. It's missing a little side panel by the mirror, which I've ordered on ebay. And the cup holder cover in front is in pieces, but all the pieces are there. The interior is in good shape otherwise.  I love how the car drives and am excited to own it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi...and welcome to the Club

I would say it sounds like a great buy.

I would probably replace the serpentine belt as soon as possible as at least it's out of your mind then and not likely to fail in service.

The coolant reservoir I assume is the overflow one in the engine bay? Sounds ominous as you say it is empty, unless it has a split in it.

Go for it...I'm sure you won't regret it

Cheers   Trevor

• Like 1

Sounds like a great car, the coolant could be a bad or seeping radiator, look for red residue around the top edge of radiator.  I would have the transmission drained and filled, Do NOT do a flush...Other than that enjoy.

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you. Yes, the coolant reservoir in the front of the engine bay was empty, but when my mechanic took off the cap of the radiator it was full.  He just put some coolant in the reservoir. I assumed maybe it just evaporated over time--- is that possible? Would three summers in the Arkansas heat do that? I'm worried now! Also, what would be a fair price for a 2006 with 66,200 miles on it?

Eek. I just called the Lexus dealer where it previously had been serviced and they said the 60,000 mile maintenance is $1800! I figured out she has been having it serviced at Sears, and apparently didn't get the 60,000 mile service- just the new brakes and an oil change. Toyota gave me a quote of $1500 and that includes a timing belt. Do I need to do all that? I'm not sure I can afford the car if I need to have all that done. I also just found out by the vin number that it is 2W Drive rather than AW. How much does that reduce the value? I may not be getting as good a deal as I thought.

just go to a toyota dealership and get an oil change, brake fluid flush, and a transmission drain and fill. should be under $400. all of the other stuff listed is garbage. you probably should have the radiator flushed also, but not until you determine whether it is leaking.

• Like 1

hey it is a great car. if you have a trused mechanic let him do the work.  until you reach 100k miles all maintenance should be oil changes, tires, etc. at 100k miles the timing belt is due, but don't panic they can go longer. Toyota will change it for around $600. at 125k miles the spark plugs are due, bUT again they will go way above that mileage (iridium plugs) some have ran them to 200k miles with no issues. other than that and routine oil changes the car should be good. I have had an rx300 with 187k miles and now a rx400h with 185k miles. this site and club lexus site are full of people that can guide you and save money.   welcome aboard

Edited by lenore
wrong numbers
  • Like 1

Thanks again. I'm nervous about the radiator now. My mechanic did not see anything leaking but he only gave it a quick look. Should it not be drained if it's leaking? They are asking $8900. Is that a decent deal? I originally thought it was AWD when I agreed on the price, but after calling in the vin number I found out it is 2WD. I'm okay with 2WD, but it looks like they are priced somewhat lower.  Also, any idea how much it will depreciate in a year? I may be wanting to sell it then depending on my circumstances.

Ok the price is excellent, at least in my neck of the woods.  That price would be for a RX with twice the mileage.   As for the radiator it only cost around $100 from Part sources like RockAuto.com.  Your mechanic should be able to install it for a reasonable labor charge.  But you may not have an issue at all.  One other thing is that maybe the Waterpump is weeping, and that is why you have lost coolant.  That could be changed when the timing belt gets changed.  I would buy some Toyota Red coolant add to the reservoir tank and see what happens.  The RX330 has proven to be a very overall good vehicle.  I would say with that mileage depreciation is not an issue, as the price is really good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another question to add too this thread. First, realize I am on a college budget with few pennies to spare at the moment. I have a 2005 rx with broken key situation. Soooo picture this. I have the flat key for actually starting car, master key(key only, no fob,or anything else) as well as blank key with the whole set up buttons and all(I programmed buttons to lock and unlock doors). Finally my question. With extremely careful engineering what is the possibility to 1. Use new key set 2. Change uncut blade with original key(I no its a task in itself alone to interchange) and my main and really own concern 3. Remove chip inside of flat/wallet key and place inside of the new button casing? Someone just tell me it not only works in theory but as well might be possible lol. I need more than my own opinion before I embark on this shady situation.1476429055037-1914250301.jpg

Your best bet is to order from a Ebay seller and give them the vin # of your car, they will cut the key and provide a new key without the electronics.  YOu just transfer the electronics from the broken key to the new one.  Should be able to do this for under $35