06 GS300 Won't Start

My 300 has failed to start twice, even after sitting for two days.  The first time, it was towed to the dealer and the service advisor attempted to start and no-go; however later that same day, when the technician attempted, it started up fine.  The dealer tried to duplicate the problem for several days, but no success.  There was no check engine light or code.  Then about three week later after fueling up at the service station, it failed to start again.  I pushed to a nearby parking space and let it sit overnight until I could have it towed the next morning.  The next morning, the two driver also tried to started without success; however, once it was downloaded at the dealer, the tow driver tried to start it again, and it fired up....no codes or check engine light.  The dealer kept it for a week and has not been able to determine the problem, however, they suspect it maybe the fuel pressure sensor.  The replacement cost is $1400, but they wont guarantee this will fix the problem.  I am reluctant to spend $1400 on a hunch; is there a way to determine if the sensor is intermittent?  How difficult is it to DIY the fuel pressure sensor and does anyone have a part#, as I have been unable to find the OEM number.  Could it be the fuel pump or regulator?  I don't suspect an electrical problem because there is not lost of cranking power and no codes or check engine light. 

Hi Charlie...welcome to the Club

I would run a complete diagnostic check on it before spending any money on parts that may or may not fix the fault.

If you know someone who has a decent scanner (snap-on, etc) plug in the next time it doesn't start and check for engine revs (crank sensor) while turning over...no revs, no crank signal! This would also result in no injector pulse, etc.

Another possibility could be fuel vapour lock or blockage in the system.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor

Thanks Trevor,

Yeah, my first thought was a fuel vapor lock.  I will have to do a little research on chasing that though.  The dealer ran an complete diagnostic check and found nothing.  I am trying not to drive it too far from home since I there is no indication as to when the no-start might occur, but I might have to buy a scanner and keep in the car just to be able to check; my check code scanner didn't register anything when it stopped before.

Charlie