Okay so... I own a Lexus RX400h and I have noticed that when my A/C is on my car is not as quiet as it used to be. For some reason It was vibrating ONLY when the A/C is on and also made a rattling sound but kind of low. When I turn off the A/C the car goes to normal. My father checked under the hood and he thinks that it is the fan for the air conditioner. I am taking it to the dealer anyway to get it looked at but I would like to know if somebody here already did this service and how much it was. I already did a super complete service a year ago and they replaced a LOT of things. This service was almost $3,000. If I have to spend much more I swear I'll sell this car. -_-

just a guess, but it sounds like maybe the bearings in the A/C compressor pulley or fan...not knowing the mileage or what all they replaced during the "super complete service"...it's difficult to say what was or wasn't really in need of replacement, but your RX is 10 years old and you took it to a Lexus dealership (I'm assuming), so (hopefully) the "super complete service" was necessary. 

It's as difficult as ever to find a mechanic/shop that you can trust 100% not to rip you off...I'm not implying that the dealership did that, but unless your Lexus has over 200k miles on it, having just spent $3000 on it last year, I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of it. Maybe check out some local garages and ask your friends if they have a mechanic or shop they can recommend to have the noise diagnosed and to get a repair estimate. I do ALL the maintenance on our Lexus and would only take it to a Lexus dealership (over an hour's drive from our house) if the problem appeared to be exceed my mechanical capabilities. 

Last year, a bunch of warning lights were illuminated on the dash...I let Advance Auto Parts scan the codes....turned out to be an 02 sensor - I ordered the sensor and a scanning tool (like they used) from Amazon.com for less than the price of just the tool at Advance, replaced it myself - problem solved. I realized not everyone has the desire or inclination to do their own maintenance on their vehicles, but I know that dealership-provided maintenance is usually VERY expensive, so I do what I can, myself. I'm sure if I had taken it to a dealership, they'd have probably charged me between $500-$1000 to do what I spent ~$250 on, including the scanning tool, which I now own for future diagnosis' on all my late-model vehicles.

On August 31, 2016 at 8:05 AM, scottq60 said:

just a guess, but it sounds like maybe the bearings in the A/C compressor pulley or fan...not knowing the mileage or what all they replaced during the "super complete service"...it's difficult to say what was or wasn't really in need of replacement, but your RX is 10 years old and you took it to a Lexus dealership (I'm assuming), so (hopefully) the "super complete service" was necessary. 

It's as difficult as ever to find a mechanic/shop that you can trust 100% not to rip you off...I'm not implying that the dealership did that, but unless your Lexus has over 200k miles on it, having just spent $3000 on it last year, I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of it. Maybe check out some local garages and ask your friends if they have a mechanic or shop they can recommend to have the noise diagnosed and to get a repair estimate. I do ALL the maintenance on our Lexus and would only take it to a Lexus dealership (over an hour's drive from our house) if the problem appeared to be exceed my mechanical capabilities. 

Last year, a bunch of warning lights were illuminated on the dash...I let Advance Auto Parts scan the codes....turned out to be an 02 sensor - I ordered the sensor and a scanning tool (like they used) from Amazon.com for less than the price of just the tool at Advance, replaced it myself - problem solved. I realized not everyone has the desire or inclination to do their own maintenance on their vehicles, but I know that dealership-provided maintenance is usually VERY expensive, so I do what I can, myself. I'm sure if I had taken it to a dealership, they'd have probably charged me between $500-$1000 to do what I spent ~$250 on, including the scanning tool, which I now own for future diagnosis' on all my late-model vehicles.

The service I was talking about included the change of the timing belt and a LOT of other components of the motor. I most of the time take my car to a Lexus dealership for service. I finally took my car there today and the problem turned out to be the two fans that work with the A/C and the radiator which come together. Also, they found an oil leak. FYI my car has 143000 miles but the mechanical aspect other than what they are repairing is all in pristine condition. I hope that it doesn't give me more problems or else I'll have to find my poor baby a new home. I really wish to do the work myself but it is a hybrid and this car's engineering is more complicated than many think.

Almost all maintenance for the hybrid versions are exactly the same as a non-hybrid version. Hybrid brakes should (and do) last quite a bit longer than those on non-hybrid vehicles, possibly offsetting the inverter coolant change extra cost.

Our RX400h has required mostly non-hybrid services like timing belt and water pump replacement, as well as cabin/air and oil filter/oil changes.

Over the span of more than 11 years, our fuel savings over that of a non-hybrid has saved us a nice chunk of money - a nice dinner for 2, once per month.

Agreed most maintenance is identical except for the Hybrid coolant change.  May I suggest you use alternate for service, maybe Toyota Dealership which gives coupons and pricing at a more competitive nature.  I have used Toyota dealership for a hybrid cooling problem and I can say they did a great job.  The Highlander Hybrid is the sister to the RX400h.  So parts and labor are the same.  My RX400h has 183k miles and I have found that all maintenance other than alignments, and brake bleeding are very routine.

and that's why I do all the maintenance on my vehicles that I'm confident in doing (that don't require specialized/expensive equipment)...I just can't bear the thought of paying Lexus maintenance rates at the dealership, or any other dealership for that matter. I just wonder what Lexus would've charged me to diagnose and replace the O2 sensor that I replaced myself...

Just a note to some remarks above: the RX 350 does not have a timing belt, but rather a timing chain. It does have obviously an accessory (serpentine) belt. You check this one periodically for wear, glazing, etc.