Car won't hold charge. Every light like check engine etc lite up. Go dim when brake and car dies. That's when it could start. Please help

Calikid13

Car battery was fully charged but something made it go bad where it can't gold s charge. All my warning lights are on in my car and when I brake everything goes dim and car loses power and dies. Also in the power steering cap you can see how it has went everywhere and know alternator is below it and that's a big broblem. But why all warning lights. And underneath car it is covered everywhere from lines. Not sure what's going on. Help

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is a well known issue with the LS 400. When the power steering pump leaks all the fluid goes right into the alternator and takes the destroys it. Your going to have to rebuild/replace the power steering pump and the alternator. All your your lights are on and dimming because the alternator is not charging the battery. That's dried up transmission fluid in your alternator.

• Like 1

I've seen more fluid than that on them. So you need to check the voltage at the battery when its running, should be around 14 plus volts. Also if that's good then look for bad connections on the battery terminals and even things like the fusible link connections, grounds etc. and yeah like Craig says you don't want atf all over the alternator either.

There are seals that can leak on the pump and  the hoses and most of all the  low engine speed vacuum valve, usually the orings go bad in them or the case gets loose and they leak. Some people remove them and then plug the hole with a proper threaded plug.

Hey thanks I just figured out my password and couldn't log in. But ya I bought a new battery cause it caused it to go bad. And I'm ordering a new alternator tonight.  My buddy is a mechanic and doing full tune up, pads and  rotors, and Alternator replacement all for 300 bucks. When you remove and install the Alternator to get to the power steering pump and the lines and everything that it could be leaking from is that going to have to be done before reinstalling it Alternator. Or can it be done and accessible after the alternator is installed. Because that wasn't part of our deal. I want him to do the turn up and alternator and then have him see where the source is and problem. And obviously have him fix it. Because don't want to install new one and not fix the leake and have new one ruined. So I know I have to do that. I see power steering fluid where came out top of reservoir and spilled down. Don't know if someone spilled or what. But was reading something where if it's the high pressure line it can cause it to come out the reservoir. Not positive on that. I know basics bout cars but nothing to that degree. I know when I turn my wheels and pump Engadges it causes tiny leak right at rack and pinion. The boot is soaked. But they said needed replacement but not something that has to be done cause barely anything. I also never have to fill it up. So it's not a bad leak but a leak. Does that help where anyone can give me advice where it could come from to have alternator failure that is dripping from boot at the rack. Or it's that just another leak? I know pump is above alternator so if anyone can give me anymore advice I would really appreciate it a lot. And thanks both of you who replied. Means a lot. 

Also what is the difference? Both are like $1 apart but the W0133 says it went through inspection and more details. I know Denso is the OE. But what is the best one I should get. Or is there something else? And is one of those OEM  

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

So far all the pictures are blank for me anyway.

2 most leakable areas are the low speed control valve that is the deal with the 2 vacuum hoses to it on the side of the ps pump, and then the reservoir to pump o ring, and then of course other areas of the pump could leak too.

Sorry they are showing up. Basically I was just wandering if anyone can tell me the best alternator I can get. No more than 200 really. I know the best I believe is the dense obviously reman. But there is two I see and one is the W0133-1602373 and the other is the 210-0170. What's the best to go with? The first one had like 29 point inspection and didn't see that on the other but guess it's where u buy it. Let me know thanks. Would that cause my car to idle really really low? Also obviously could be the tune up. Has 1989 wires on it 😦

There is 3 Denso Alternators coming up on Amazon for my car too. Model 210-0282, 210-0176, 210-0174, and 210-0170. Does anyone know difference and what's the best for a 1990 Lexus ls400. Thanks