Back door rubber handle cover - MELTING

Second summer now --- my 2008 back door latch rubber cover is melting off the car. The dealership and Lexus "Customer Service" says not covered by Lexus -- too bad. This has to be a defect in the selection of the part. Ideas on what to do besides spending $500 to purchase part and install it?  Others have problem too? Thanks!

Heydrick-Lexus-Melted Rubber 1.JPG

Lexus melted rubber.JPG

Edited by KennAustin-400h
added picture

Yep....same thing happened to our '09. We LOVE our Lexus, but I believe for this to not be covered by them is a load of BS! It's obviously a poor design/bad part choice/etc. 

I don't really have a suggestion for a remedy. I just removed what was left of the melted cover and left it as is. I, too, would be interested in a (reasonably priced) solution.

- Scott

We have not seen this, but we WILL be getting a free replacement dash, due to softening and cracking of the material. Our RX is now over 11 years old. On the other hand, the passenger side rear corner window frame piece just fell off one day. The dealership (and Lexus) do not consider that a defect.

We had the same thing happen to our 2009 RX350 in August 2013. Under our extended warranty, it was replaced free, but the invoice shows P/N 84840-08010 being used, with about 1/2 hour labor. I searched for the P/N online and it appears it cam be gotten for $50 or less.  Not sure how much hassle was involved since Lexus did it, but maybe someone else has some idea.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Problem happened on my 2006, it was sticky, more and more sticky and I eventually changed it (out of warranty).

Cost was about 70 euros ex-tax, it took me about half an hour to change it.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/588188-melted-plastic-in-rear-boot-opener.html
Howto: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-generation/710278-cargo-hatch-switch-replacement-how-to-with-pics.html#post8149752

• Like 1

Our rubber handle has melted too!!! I couldn't believe it. Ridiculous to pay this much for a car where a cheap part like this melts and Lexus won't cover it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnneS said:

Our rubber handle has melted too!!! I couldn't believe it. Ridiculous to pay this much for a car where a cheap part like this melts and Lexus won't cover it!

I couldn't agree more!