Key Shell / 200 ES300

I was just at the Lexus dealership for a new key shell because mine's broken. $60 and that includes the new key. I don't really need a new key, and they're trying to tell me that the key shells I can get online don't work well--he says they're cheap (I'm sure), and that sometimes the parts don't fit and they have computer problems. I don't understand why a new, plastic, 3-button key shell after-market couldn't be used--even if it is a cheapo?  Is this guy telling me BS? I mean, all there is to it is the battery, the little computer chip, and the key. Can someone please explain? I hate feeling like I'm getting robbed, and I'm hoping to get some more perspective.

saturation,

Yes, they gave you a bunch of bullsh**, but ... some of what they say is gosphel.

My Brides last ES330 (a 2003) had the same issue as you. I purchased a blank key/shell because one of her originals had simply fallen apart. The swap was uneventful, but I still required the new key blank to be cut.

We have no Lexus dealership locally, and our local Toyota dealer wouldn't touch it, claiming they had no access to anything from Lexus, which is true. I tried two different upscale locksmith companies, both saying they couldn't help me.

I then went to my local Honda dealership, and armed with the key code from my owner's manual, they cut the blank for me, without charge, afraid that it wouldn't work but they were willing to try. When I took it home, the key fit in the ignition, but would not turn. I then compared the key to our remaining original and discovered that it was cut correctly .... but was too long by almost a quarter inch. I ground its length back with a Dremmel tool and it worked perfectly.

Now roll ahead 6 years to my Bride's new ES350, which is now push button start, and has a key fob transmitter. She loses the plastic part of the key fob in year two, but still has the emergency key section on her key ring.

A search shows that the key fobs are available online, but even those who take it to a Lexus dealership can't get them programmed correctly in some cases. Some do, some don't.

The result is, buy one online for $100 or so, have the dealership program it for $75 and then maybe find out it won't work, only to have to then buy a new one from Lexus and have it programmed to the tune of $300 or so.

So we just broke down and purchased a new one from Lexus, instead of trying the aftermarket route on the off chance it might work.

So, what I'm saying is that you can get your generation key cut and it will work, but there are no guarantees with the two latest generation ES's.