91 Octane fuel at a discount!

Naval Air

Since filling the 22.2 gallon LS 430 tank with 93 octane premium at its premium price gives you nothing in additional performance or MPG, many drivers with a mind toward economy opt to use a mixture of 50% 93 octane premium and 50% 89 octane plus to achieve the desired exact 91 Octane at an overall lower pump price.

For additional savings another option is 65% 93 octane and 35% 87 regular which yields a 90.96 Octane blend which will not knock, trigger the knock sensor and !Removed! the timing with the resulting reduction in performance and MPG. I currently get the same 30 MPG with A/C blowing at 70 mph on the highway with this 35%/65% blend as with 50% 93 octane/50% 89 octane blend while enjoying a $2.27 net savings per tankful.

I have made and use the following chart to aid me in achieving the desired 65%/35% blend when refueling the 22.2 gallon tank, pumping premium first!

1/4 tank.............3.66 gal. premium 93 and 1.86 gal. regular 87

1/2 tank.............7.32 gal. premium 93 and 3.74 gal. regular 87

3/4 tank............10.98 gal.premium 93 and 5.67 gal. regular 87

full tank............14.64 gal. premium 93 and 7.56 gal. regular 87

Enjoy!

Naval Air

Edited by Naval Air
misspelled word
  • Like 1

Hmmm....let's see.

Buy a MANY thousands of dollars car and save $2.27 on a tank of gas (with the engine de-tuning itself).

Why, with a hundred tankfuls a year, the savings of $227 is astronomical. Makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, GDixon said:

Hmmm....let's see.

Buy a MANY thousands of dollars car and save $2.27 on a tank of gas (with the engine de-tuning itself).

Why, with a hundred tankfuls a year, the savings of $227 is astronomical. Makes sense to me.

GDixon, thanks for your post!  I get your points but they lead me to believe the points in my post were not clear and thus require a bit of clearing up.

First and foremost, the 90.96 Octane blended fuel is the recommended 91 Octane fuel and  WILL NOT knock, triggering the knock sensor to !Removed! the engine timing (de-tuning as you say). Mileage and performance will be IDENTICAL to that of the lexus LS430 owner pumping 100 tankfuls of 93 octane fuel a year while saving $505.00/year at today's costs not just $ 227.00/year, as with the 50/50 89 and 93 blend (91 Octane) I first mentioned. The LS 430 engine has no mechanism to sense and up-tune or advance timing with 93 Octane fuel in the tank so anything over 91 octane gains you NOTHING

Second, MPG (see my previous posts) is a game (passion) with me and any monetary savings, if any, are just ancillary pluses. However, , at your encouragement, now that I look at it more closely a $505.00 year ($2525 in 5 short years) savings will MORE than keep me in tires, brakes, oil changes, additives, car washes, detailing,windshield repairs, etc. So I must say, YES, this now makes a great deal of sense to me also.

Naval Air

Edited by Naval Air
misspelled word

Of course, you are entitled to pursue your interests. We all have different priorities and that is what makes the world a more interesting place.

Perhaps a following of those sharing your thoughts will be developed on this forum.

• 1 month later...