1998 Lexus LS 400 MAF sensor cleaning

M.Yasir

Hello everyone

I recently encouraged and pushed myself from laziness that i have to clean that MAF sensor although there is nothing wrong in my car except it is giving me now really poor economy

Anyway i started to take it out ... and these were the problems which i faced

1.) I did not knew how to unlock the connector anyway i managed and inserted one flat screwdriver and pushed with the clip pressed and it came out

WP_20160721_001.jpg

WP_20160721_003.jpg

2.) Now the connector being disconnected taking out the MAF unit, there are 4 screws two "+" screws are there and two 10 mm hexagonal screws,

3.) Tools: unfortunately i only had one flat "-" screwdriver with me i managed to unbolt the + screws from MAF sensor, now how to unbolt the hex 10 mm screws? i asked the neighbor and ofcourse with my all time bad luck he had only one big multipurpose wrench, i tried anyhow with that i was able to open one screw but the other one which is near to the air filter wont budge since there is no space due to ABS actuator box sitting there, there is no space to turn the wrench! i gave up put everything back on and went outside to take a break and to buy some tools

4.) I went to store and bought some wrenches, + screwedrivers etc

5.) I came back and started again this time it was easy to take the sensor out, to my surprise its a big sensor with a good amount of engineering being done on the shape of it it is more of a small jet engine inspiration

WP_20160722_003.jpg

WP_20160722_004.jpg

WP_20160722_005.jpg

WP_20160722_006.jpg

Now a closer look at the filaments inside the housing

WP_20160722_036.jpg

WP_20160722_039.jpg

6.) Cleaning: How to do it? i browsed through many forums and videos everyone using a cleaning spray dedicated only for a MAF sensor which i honestly believe is just a marketing strategy to lure people to buy their product eg CRC cleaner etc......... anyway obviously i did not had that spray now what to do... 

After some research i found out that the chemical composition of the CRC cleaner was mainly petroleum, and since petrol in the form of spray is a good cleaning agent and it evaporates into the air, similarly i thought i can use alchohol or spirit (methanol) to clean this, i had a deodorant (contains isopropyl, methanol) with me at my home and gave it a go sprayed right into its face

Result was good it cleaned the filaments were looking bright and shine only thing missing was that long nozzle so that you have more reach, if had just had a straw in my home i would have made that long nozzle

WP_20160722_049.jpg

I think even if you have spirit which is used for medical purposes (to clean wounds) you can use that also after all purpose is to clean the dirt without water and without damaging those delicate filaments.

I installed the MAF sensor back just some time before, lets see whether it gives me any good result (improving the gas mileage) or not

Would be interested to see what gains you get with economy and/or performance.

Usually the Air Mass Meter runs a larger current through on start up to burn off dust, etc from the element but I'm also convinced that occasional cleaning with the correct spirit helps...keep us informed as to how it is going

Well i am not seeing much economy gain, it should give atleast 350 Miles in a tank full..... regardless i noticed two big things

1.) Check engine light gone; occasionally it comes on but most of the time after cleaning MAF its gone for good

2.) Smoothness!, gear shift is much smooth and overall acceleration is smooth noticeable difference!

Next stop oxygen sensor replacement

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...