armcomdes

Looking for a Fix for Rattling Muffler Shields

The shields over my mufflers have loosened and now rattle a bit. Besides install new mufflers and shields, is there any way to sure up or bumper the shields to stop the rattle?

armcomdes,

I haven't had to do this fix on any of our Lexus models , but had two Subaru's that did. The subies was a simple fix because of the shape of the shields, fitting close to the front resonator and covering part of the exhaust pipe as well. I simply put a larger exhaust clamp right around the heat shield at the pipe entering the resonator, and clamped the heat shield right to the resonator. Problem solved for the next 3 years until trade time.

The ES muffler shields are different, much wider area coverage, and not as close to the muffler. A down and dirty fix would be to use plumber's strapping (comes in a roll with lots of holes in it. Cut off a section long enough to go between the trunk floor and the heat shield, and then down around the muffler and back up to the strap again. Pull it tight to force the heat shield to collapse onto the muffler, and tighten the ends together with a long bolt and nut.

To keep it looking less obvious, position the strapping as far forward on the muffler as possible to do the job, but still not be seen from the rear of the car, if possible. The only other sure way to silence the rattle is a new heat shield and mounting bolts, because yours have rusted off. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By HCofield
      I have a 2013 ES300h and really enjoy the car. I just took it in for the 20,000 mile check up and when I got home noticed the door locking system is not functioning properly. Remote key feature works 90% of the time......touching the outside handle works most of the time....but using either option does not lock or unlock the driver's door. Many times the driver's door will not lock even when you are in the car. Twice now, while I have been driving, the doors have unlocked on their own. Anyone else experiencing this situation?
      Secondly, about six months after getting the car a slight rattle started and sound like it was coming from the left side of the dashboard near the windshield. It has gotten more frequent and louder now and appears to be coming from the roof .... possible the sunroof. The rattle is heard whether the sunroof is open or closed.
      No one can seem to locate the cause.
      Thanks for any feedback.
      Cheers,
      H Cofield
    • By tennisleff
      I've notice a strange "plastic" sounding rattle very often when hitting road bumps. It appears to emanate from the wheels and can only be heard when the windows are down. it makes the car sound really cheap. My original guess was the lexus logo in the center of the wheel but that does not appear to be the issue. IS250 Fsport. Anyone experience something similar?
    • By tedly
      Hey everybody. I have an 03 RX300 with 75k miles and a strange rattle. The rattle is just under the front seats and only happens when the car is cruising (not accelerating) above 40 mph. In other words, it doesn't rattle while stepping on the gas pedal but as soon as the gas pedal is released it starts rattling.
      Took it to a mechanic who was not very confident about it but suggested replacing the shocks/struts.
      Has anyone experienced this? Do you think it's really the shocks/struts? Thanks
    • By mcallan
      Its been a month, and not a single rattle so far.