Wheel Lock Problem and Advice

RetiredDoc

A few months back I bought new tires from my dealer.  I'd guess they were put on using an air impact wrench, based on this recent problem. And, remember the LX comes with McGard wheel locks installed.

Saturday morning one of my tires was flat.  I found a screw in the tread, so I decided to change the tire, and take the flat to the dealer for repair on Monday.  I found that all the lug nuts were so tight that I wasn't able to budge any of them with a socket and 3 foot breaker bar. The lug wrench in the vehicle tool kit was worthless. I finally resorted to an electric impact wrench. So, I had 4 lug nuts loose, and was ready to tackle the wheel lock.  Hmm, why won't the wheel lock key fit onto the nut?  It seems that somehow in installing the new tires, the inside of the wheel lock key had been sheared off.  The dealer, of course, had just closed for the weekend.

I found many videos on you tube about how to easily bypass the wheel lock, but the techniques made the removed lug nut useless, and there is not a spare lug nut to use to install the spare tire.  So, I went on line to McGard, and ordered a replacement wheel lock key. with one day shipping. But the one day doesn't start until McGard opens for business after the weekend.  To eliminate this ever happening again, I also ordered 4 standard lug nuts, and I plan to trash the McGard locks and just go with real lug nuts all around on all 4 wheels.

That's my advice to you. Get rid of the McGard wheel locks and go with standard lug nuts. Do it before you are faced with a problem. From what I found on line, the McGard locks won't stop a wheel thief. The bypass hack takes all of about 10 seconds. If you feel you must stick with the McGard locks, at least order a spare key for them, and keep it in the vehicle. Do not let your dealer service department tire changer use the backup key. It's likely that the person doing the tire changing at the dealer is not a mechanic or trained technician.

Luckily my flat happened in my garage. If it had been on the road, the LX would still be sitting out there somewhere waiting on a new wheel lock key.

Well, the local dealer got the overtightened wheel lock off and replaced all 4 of them with standard lug nuts. Luckily the flatbed ride to the dealer of 40 miles was covered by Lexus.  But, they made up a bit for it by charging almost three times the cost of the replacement lug nuts.  That's my dealer's price compared to the on-line price (less shipping) from a Lexus dealer service department in another city near me. So I now have 4 spare lug nuts. I need to check and see if they'll fit the IS-C and replace those locks.