Transmission will not shift

I recently had the brakes flushed and had a idle air control valve replaced. After receiving my car back i noticed the overdrive off light was flashing and when i started to pull out i almost got in an accident as the car would barely moved as the engine revved. I alerted the manager and he test drove the vehicle and said that it was the TPS sensor and he needed to adjust it.since it was closing time i left the vehicle. The next day he said he need a machine to adjust it and he would call back.I stopped by and  saw my car hooked up to wires he said was part of the test.I was without my car for about six days,when i got it back it was the same and he said it was my transmission.I told him my transmission was ok when i brought it in. I asked how much it would cost to fix and he said his shop dont fix transmissions.The car shift manually but that not how it should be any ideas???

Kevin C.,

Your mechanic doesn't know Toyota/Lexus transmissions ....... you need a better mechanic, but not necessarily a Lexus tech, and have to pay through the nose.

A search for your issues shows that the tranny has an issue. Its trouble codes need to be read correctly for the diagnostic. The fix may be as simple as replacing some internal

solenoids, which is a DIYer for someone with some wrenching experience, but not rocket science. Don't let anyone talk you into any repairs until you get the proper codes read and

then go from there. It may be a relatively cheap fix.

To see what I'm referring to, do a Google search for "93 Lexus ES300 flashing OD light" and read several posts and their resultant fixes.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When my vehicle had this issue it was a bad VSS, my ECM was unable to read how fast I was going or even moving at all so it either shifted into the wrong gear or just didn't move.  I agree though find out what your codes are.  A flashing O/D Light is the same as a check engine light only its specially telling you the issue has to do with the transmission whether that be a disconnect in communication or an internal issue with the transmission.